Experience with a Horned Blenny

Aros

BRS Member
So I got the horned blenny from LA and they have it as an "herbivore". I've given it flakes and nori but it doesn't even look at the stuff, but then it'll go right after my flower anemone and snails. I've never seen it eat anything until I dropped an oyster in the tank and it went straight for it and took off a huge chunk.

What's up with this fish?? Anyone ever had one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have one, and i can confirm that it is an odd ball. it took about 2-3 months for it to understand the various foods that i add to the tank. now it will take flake food from my feeder. it also never ventures very far above the sand bed, so that is something to add to the feeding issues. i have also seen it go after ricordia i just placed in the tank. these were rics that i just glued down and they were smaller. he doesn't bother my rics anymore, but i definitely saw him eat one. i am still trying to get it to feed on nori sheets with everyone else. they definitely prefer meaty foods at first.

Lol damn it, I was just about to get some rics too... oh well, glad to hear it's not just mine that's weird. Thanks

I think part of the problem is there are several blennies that look very similar and ?may have slightly different diets? I know I had to get rid of mine (not a horned but similar) because it was eating all of my flower anemones. While it would eat nori, it never really seemed that interested in other algae.

He ate the entire skirt off my flower anemone. I've been target feeding him oyster and mysis hopefully he'll leave my anemone alone now. Sucks cuz I really like the fish. Great personality and cool eyebrows.

Back