Feeding Bubble and Trachy

jackie

Non-member
I've been feeding cyclopeze directed at them every night before the lights go off, but most of the bubble coral is still retracted, and the brain, well, poor thing looks like it's starving. I'm setting up the refuge this afternoon and I know in time it will help. I've read about feeding them on wetwebmedia but it's not inclusive. Thought I could get some BRS hints...

And I'm totally out of DT's....

HELP:eek:

I wonder if all the cyclopeeze could be adding to nutrients in the tank that is making the LPS unhappy? Just a wild stab?

Can those corals eat cyclopeeze? I had thought they mostly took smaller food like phyto, but I may be mistaken.

Gosh I don't know, I did hear that brains like to be fed pieces of food, but how wasn't explained. I should go out and pick up some phyto....thanks Nate.

Don't go on my word. I don't have either of those, so I don't really know. I just read the feeding section in Borneman's book to try to learn more and . . . well I'm not sure I came up with many answers. Sounds like a confusing subject.

Last edited:
I have that book too and it didn't have much on feeding.....funny thing you just never know until you get them home and go through the experience yourself. You can read and research, but once they're in your tank it can be a whole new ballgame.

Thanks Nate for trying to help! I'm off to AA for phyto....hope I don't forget to turn off the water before I go:eek:

I feed my bubble whatever seafood we are eating that week, about 1/8-1/10 of his diameter expanded. Shrimp, swordfish even occasionally salmon, had him for 3.5 years and he is about 9 inches in diameter.

Feed the Trach the same way as KevK feeds his bubble. Chunks of meaty food. Shrimp, clam, cod fish, etc. Try to stay away from oily fish.

Put the food on a feeding stick or just use your hand. Rub the food on top of the coral and the feeding tentacles will come out and grab the food.

You may have to fight off the shrimp and crabs until the coral finishes its meal

Ok thanks guys,....any time of day? Please don't tell me I have to get up at 4:00am to feed:eek: I've heard of some people doing that. There are a lot of vultures in the tank so I thought I would put them in a separate container when I feed to train them then use an empty soda bottle in the tank. thanks again that's a big help.

The bubble will eat anytime. You do have to be careful that the shrimp don't steal the food.

Tstone said:
The Trach needs to be fed at 3:30 AM or it will perish. Everyday Or I should say every night.
Be my guest, I'll put the coffee on so it's ready by the time you get here. ;)

Update: I put the trachy in the fuge about a week ago and it's doing great, go figure! I moved the macro over to give it it's own space and it's near the drain from the tank. I'm guessing it's getting more food in there or it took more time to acclimate. Just had to share. The bubble it getting better.....

Back