Finishing a basement for a tank?

That is going to be quite a task. Excavating the floor to get more headroom will pay off but it’s not going to be fun.

Just starting work on a 500G display peninsula (7'x4'x3') for the basement - totally unfinished, blank canvas. With a fishroom behind the peninsula, that will house a 120G sump and 80G frag tank. WooHoo! I have all the equipment and plans done. Now time to get off my ^%$# and buy some 2x4s!!

That is going to be quite a task. Excavating the floor to get more headroom will pay off but it’s not going to be fun.
did my floor got another 14 inches had to remove 2 cement floors with 10inches of concrete plus re route my sewer and still only have 6ft would have gone deeper bought rock walls only go so deep

Been a year in the work but basement is finally done
979CC547-D918-47E5-B4D7-55F08DCE6998.jpeg

My basement isn’t completely finished yet, but that’s because I work on it at my leisure. Tough to work construction everyday, and then come home and work some more.

Anywho op I think u live close to me, your welcome to come by anytime and check out my setup. Here’s the hub of the man cave(going to build a floating canopy Maybe tomorrow night)

One thing I did in my basement was paint the ceiling black. From floor to ceiling I had 7’8 to joist. I did not want to lose any ceiling height and the black gives an illusion of a higher ceiling.

In wall fireplace behind my recliners, also added a bar which is currently my work station

Attachments

• DA66DF3E-12B1-4DC6-B155-C767AEE31DBF.jpeg
    DA66DF3E-12B1-4DC6-B155-C767AEE31DBF.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 199
  • CBB916E0-2FDB-43CD-9535-2178A899CCCD.jpeg
    CBB916E0-2FDB-43CD-9535-2178A899CCCD.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 7E4853EC-1F90-4C37-A3F3-2ED3FB5F449D.jpeg
    7E4853EC-1F90-4C37-A3F3-2ED3FB5F449D.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
My basement isn’t completely finished yet, but that’s because I work on it at my leisure. Tough to work construction everyday, and then come home and work some more.

Anywho op I think u live close to me, your welcome to come by anytime and check out my setup. Here’s the hub of the man cave(going to build a floating canopy Maybe tomorrow night)

One thing I did in my basement was paint the ceiling black. From floor to ceiling I had 7’8 to joist. I did not want to lose any ceiling height and the black gives an illusion of a higher ceiling.

In wall fireplace behind my recliners, also added a bar which is currently my work station
B's, C's, Sox and corals - you got your priorities right!

One thing to keep in mind is having load sounds near the tank will be bad. I would just keep that in the back of your mind.

Loud sounds? Like a tv?
I "finished" mine as a sump room:
- Tapped the H&C plumbing
- Added a HD stock counter and sink on an open frame with shelf, added a single faucet for dedicated RO feed
- Built a sewerage ejector out of a Brute with a float switch
- Hung a plywood backer board to mount all of the equipment (RO, UV, Media, Controllers, etc)
- Installed a 7 stage RO/DI and RO/ALK (drinking water) system (soon to be 8) with 12volt solenoids
- Built a 55 gallon sump with dual returns on a 2x 6 stand (I have some strong opinions on sump design including low-flow refugium and 100% flow through MarinePure Spheres
- Set up RO storage and mixing station
- Built a manifold on one of the returns with single value turn water changing
- Installed 4 head doser (2 head used for RO water) which takes the heavy load and provides a back-up to my home made $20 ATO

Never has tank maintenance been easier than with a full lab, no crawling under a stand and a concrete floor tha t can get wet.

Built this all for a 60 gallon cube display with the knowledge that I would be upgrading. The SCA 120 went up last week :)

Happy to help anyone with questions
any thoughts on how you will manage humidity? Im doing a basement build too. Just planning on tight fitting covers, plus a 70pint dehumidifier with discharge to a drain line.

any thoughts on how you will manage humidity? Im doing a basement build too. Just planning on tight fitting covers, plus a 70pint dehumidifier with discharge to a drain line.
I’ve been using a 70 pint dehumidifier for the last 2 years and empty the reservoir once a day during the summer months. Humidity stays pretty constant in 45-50% range. A constant drain line would be more ideal

Loud sounds? Like a tv?
He said he wants to have a surround sound system. This would entitle loud sounds coming from the room from movies. This will cause vibration in the tank and will scare the fish scared fish means stressed fish. Just my 2 cents

I am working on my basement right now, not purposely for the tanks or need living space. Just want to finish it so the basement looks nice.

Attachments

• 413087CA-8866-4EDD-9709-1A85030D518E.jpeg
    413087CA-8866-4EDD-9709-1A85030D518E.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 176

Writing a check or swiping a credit card isn't hard work lol

did my floor got another 14 inches had to remove 2 cement floors with 10inches of concrete plus re route my sewer and still only have 6ft would have gone deeper bought rock walls only go so deep

Did you do it yourself or hire a company? What kind of foundation do you have? I wouldn't even dream of doing it by myself due to the fieldstone foundation and the fact that the foundation and rafters have already been worked on and reinforced...

Just starting work on a 500G display peninsula (7'x4'x3') for the basement - totally unfinished, blank canvas. With a fishroom behind the peninsula, that will house a 120G sump and 80G frag tank. WooHoo! I have all the equipment and plans done. Now time to get off my ^%$# and buy some 2x4s!!

Damn that size tank would almost be my whole basement LOL

One thing to keep in mind is having load sounds near the tank will be bad. I would just keep that in the back of your mind.

He said he wants to have a surround sound system. This would entitle loud sounds coming from the room from movies. This will cause vibration in the tank and will scare the fish scared fish means stressed fish. Just my 2 cents

I would like to do a surround sound set up and will definitely take this into account. Ideally I would love to do a huge 7.1 and spend thousands but more than likely it would be a middle of the line set up with 5 speakers and a sub and I would definitely account for the vibration with the tank I didn't even have that in my thought process but now I will!

I’ve been using a 70 pint dehumidifier for the last 2 years and empty the reservoir once a day during the summer months. Humidity stays pretty constant in 45-50% range. A constant drain line would be more ideal

One thing I would suggest is buying a dehumidifier with a pump. We run a 50 or 70 pint one and it has a pump that has a 1/4" or 1/2" tube that goes up a few feet and drains into the main sewer line so we never have to empty it. I keep the basement at 55% humidity and now in the winter it never really kicks on.

One time our old dehumidifier's pump stopped working and I had to empty it every few days and that only lasted a week before I bought a new one :D

Been a year in the work but basement is finally doneView attachment 135509

Really like the look of that wall and my wife loves that sort of look as well the headboard her father made for the bed looks just like that. Have to include it in the list of things to sell this idea to her lol. Make it like an accent wall where the tank would go.

Back