Fish that wont become dinner!

Tcancel

Non-member
Ok guys and gals, the tank at work is clearing up nicely, thank you for all the ideas. I will be soon adding the live rock and im starting to look at fish. I need to house a snowflake eel, a lion fish, and maybe a bamboo shark. Now here is my dilema, i need ideas on what fish i can add to complement the look, but wont become diner. I was thinking of puffers, triggers, wrasse and tangs, but im really not sure. This will be the first time i do a FOTWLR with aggressive fish.

HELP!!! Throw me some ideas. This is a 180gal tank. 6'x2'x2'

Thanks in advance!

id stay away from the shark. tanks a little small for a shark and u can add more colorful fish like triggers without it. do what u want im just voicing my opinion.

I'd also stay away from the shark and maybe do a nice large angel. KCA has a HUGE french angel and man, that thing makes a statement!

I guess you will have to figure out if you want an aggressive tank, reef friendly or even if you hope to have a cleanup crew (most become lunch with certain fish). I would opt for small group of blue/green chromis to school, small groups of gobies, 3 yellow watchman gobies, couple of triggers (like the niger, pink tail or blue throat....less aggressive). Consider fish you can keep 3-5 (clumping of colors) of since the 180 is so big. Last to be added(since they are the most agressive and own the tank)...Tangs: Achilles, Chevron and Purple. Majestic or emperor angel....

I would add a couple of cleaner shrimp and a couple of blood red shrimp for color and cleaning stations (cool to watch)...if they don't get eaten. :rolleyes:

I guess you will have to figure out if you want an aggressive tank, reef friendly or even if you hope to have a cleanup crew (most become lunch with certain fish).

Well, i thought once i went with eel and lion fish a CUC would be out of the question, I guess I'm okay with that. I also though a school of chromis would be a no no because of the lion fish, I'm I right? I mean, i would love a school of chromis, they look awesome. Also, would like to stay away from Angels if i can, the reefer in me wants to sneak some softies in there!!! :eagerness:

Now, for the ones that said stay away from the shark, why? :confused: I never had a shark before, so any info is good. See, this is a tank that is being set up at a firehouse, and when the guys approached me to do this, their request was clear, eel, shark, lionfish. Did i jump the gun by telling them it was doable? And if so, im going to need a good explanation. :dread:

I guess I missed the aggressive fish tank decision (I thought you were thinking)...yeah, no cuc and chromis. I would start with my favorite...a pair of bird wrasses....one green (male) and one black (female). Still love the chevron, achilles and majestic angel.

Last edited:
The Foxface is an excellent idea. They mind thier own business but will defend them selves if needed and that is usually just display. Plus they should help keep algae issues down which might happen since those fish tend to produce a lot of waste
Triggers are awsome and should work well.

Back