Fishing in my tank adventures

stang8s

Cyber P
Well I finally broke down and picked up some #22 fish hooks today. Armed with a pc of squid on the hook with the bard filed off I went to catch my butterfly.. Every other fish in the tank could have been caught in seconds. Especially my hippo tang. Every time i put it in he went right for it and i would have to pull it away.. He would chase it as I pulled often breaking the surface of the water trying to get it... The butterfly had mild interest in it, it was hard to leave it in long enough and keep it away from the tang. Well on the last pull the line caught up on some crud on a power head and broke. The tang ate the squid hook and all.. He seems none the worse for it, but I am now concerned because my tang has a hook inside him someplace.... He didnt seem to notice or care and is still swimming around like nothing happened but I feel bad and worry that it may kill him??? Meanwhile the butterfly is still in the tank, I just saw him eat a couple zoos.

Is draining all of the water in the tank temporarily an option ?

I recall reading a post by reefnroll/bec where she did just that to capture a fish in her reef tank. The water was siphoned out into large containers (barrels) until the water level was low enough to scoop out the troublesome fish. Immediately afterward, the water was pumped back into the tank. Drastic, but effective and apparently with no harm done.

I hope your tang is ok long term.

I think tearing down the reef wall would be easier. I think if I drained the water the fish would still be behind the wall where he always goes when anything is going on.. So either way id end up pulling the rocks apart. They are all encrusted together with various corals and stuff, I tired moving a few today.

Actually I have a really bad cold or the flu so we can work that out!

I notice tonight that the hooks i used are bronze... Bronze has copper in it so I guess my tang is now non-reef safe..

LOL no Cindy the deal here is Jeff has been holding something for me for months as I have something here for him but neither of us ever have the opportunity to get together this was actually just one more time constraint joke but ya I have tons of majona and aptasia for him hopefully Sunday I can get to his place LOL

Using two nets, each coming from opposite sides, has never failed for me. You can actually notice the fish getting confused over it.

ReeferMedic said:
Using two nets, each coming from opposite sides, has never failed for me. You can actually notice the fish getting confused over it.

Been doing that for days. Does not work. Problem 1 is you cant even walk to the tank to get the nets in without the fish going behind the reef wall. I blocked most of the holes through it as well to try and keep him out front but thats impossible to do as the plexiglass does not sit flat against rocks and he turns sideways to go around it.

Problem 2 is my tank is so full or corals and rocks that you cant even swing nets from side to side.

Sure in an empty tank or a tank with alot of room this works fine.

I have as much space behind the rocks and corals as I do in front of them!

My tank is pretty full too, 200-plus pounds of rock and alot of coral. Try just leaving the nets in the water for a while so they get used to seeing it in there.........

thats how i had been doing it. This fish is very shy and you cant walk within 3 feet of the tank without it darting to the back. If you make it to the net handles he is in the back before you can move them 2"! I have tried it easily 70 times and never once came close enough to even touch him with a net.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I have an eel I need to get out. I'm waiting until he gets hungry enough to come all the way out of the rocks when I hold a piece of food in front of him. This has been the hardest one ever. I usually get them out pretty quick. I guess I need to stop buying fish that I know will have to be removed some day.........

Jeff why don't you cover the front of the tank with some dark paper so the fish doesn't see you coming.

Could you use a large clear plastic bag with a little sand to hold it down over the rocks? Once you get it in place, spook him from the back of the tank and close his exit behind him so he can't get back into the rocks. Do it with the lights dim and he might not figure it out in time.

Jeff...the clear plastic thing gave me an idea. If the trap doesn't work, maybe you could try to get a section of clear net, and with some thick fishing line, you could rig up a little trap that is similar to a casting net. Pin it in the sand and have a long lead of fishing line so you can yank it from a great distance. We could put a lil rubble in the middle with aptaisa....just a thought.

Reefermedic... THE ONLY thing I've been succesfull at fishing out with a hook and line was a buddy's HUGE eel. If it gets down to it, I'd try it. They have suprisingly strong mouths and lips and shouldn't be affected by a hook like a grazer with thin lips.

Dave

Jeff, have you tried flipping the lights on in the middle of the night? If you know where he sleeps that might daze him for a moment so you can grab him.

Back