Fishing in my tank adventures

Nate-
He doesnt sleep. He is up and about all night. I tried fishing again last night for him with a hook. Good news was everyone else but the cleaner shrimp was sleeping so no worries there but no interest other then looking from the butterfly. I think if i had a mojano or something for bait that would work.

Cindy- I like that idea. It would seal against the rock so much better then the plexiglass. I had about 10 pc of plexi covering various holes but he could still find his was around many of them and there were still many more holes and ways to the back.

Dave-
I like the "we" part!!!

Jeff... I'll help. I've got baseball practices and other things to work around, but I'd not mind coming over and helping. I reserve the right to use some time for playing guitars though!!!

Stangs, from everything I've been told, your fish should be fine. Supposedly (this is what the manufacturers say) the hooks should dissolve in a fishes stomach over a couple of weeks. I guess they use really cheap metal that is really succeptible to acid.

Theres a guy sells something on ebay for removing fish,he's very clever about not revealling what it is but he has sold tons of them/it /whatever it is and seems to have positive feedback.
Does any one no what he's selling,i can't se it being that much of a con because of his feedback.It's only $5.
Might be worth a try :)
-Liam.

Rich,

You are correct. I've caught many fish (especially trout) with small brass hooks in their lips etc. Again, this is more common in trout where people use very light tippet/leader material and break it. The hook begins to break down pretty quickly. I use the same hook materials when I fish big game. Often, I cut the line at the hook and leave it in (you try taking the small circle hooks out of a t'd off shark). They are often barbless hooks too!

In Jeff's case, I think he'll be okay. The chunk o' calmari he used was ingested, hook and all, and it seems that the hook was burried pretty good. If the fish doesn't pass it, it'll most likely dissolve.

Dave

You can try this trick I learned from Brendan at Skiptons. Get yourself one of those containers that they use to put the fish in after removing it from the tank and a mag float. Put the container in the tank and one of the mags on the inside of the container then put the other on the outside of your tank to hold the container. Then tilt it maybe 25 to 30 degrees so the top corner is out of the water and the rest is in the water. When you are feeding drop the food in the container and hopefully the fish will follow. Once they go in make sure you have a net ready to stop him from getting out of the container. This really works I caught my Green Chromis that I have been trying for a month now.

Oh I thank B often... and I often give him or his store of the year money as well. He's good people and has always been "Right on" with guidance.

A little addition to Brendon's trick is to drill a tiny hole in each corner of the specimin container and attach fishing line. Bring all the lines together into one knot, then attach a long string.

Set up the trap, then sit across the room with the other end of the string and wait.

Back