Flow for a 90-gallon mixed reef...

mrow1997

Rhody.reefer
BRS Member
Looking for inspiration for what to do for flow with my 90-gallon mixed reef aquarium. I am already running 1 MP40 on one side, and two cheap Amazon find AC pumps in either corner. I'm looking to redo my approach to the flow and placement of corals. Everything is fairly healthy; if anything, I am trying to sell some things currently because I have seen tons of growth with a few different pieces. However, I feel I could be doing far better by this tank. It might be beginner's luck or some of the stuff I have can be grown by pretty much anyone. Regardless, I am looking to improve my system as it heads into its second year.

Currently, my idea is to add a Maxspect Gyre to the back wall of the tank utilizing the fact that it can be angled in multiple different angles, as well as one to run horizontally along the back wall. However I have doubts this is anywhere close to a good approach.

Attached are photos below.
IMG_8350.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8345.jpeg
    IMG_8345.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 36
I think Bill’s suggestion is the way to go, two mo40 opposite should be more than enough. Only other option would be an mp10 (or the like) middle back wall as a disrupter….. but def overkill and one more pump to clean

Following along. Flow will be the death of me! I have a standard 125 and have 2 mp40's and a gyre like jebao. The flow is okay but, not chaotic like I want. When the flow is turned up, its way too much flow in the middle but little to no flow on one end. I've moved them around, changed patterns, changed intensities. I can't see to find a good balance. I ended up order 2 Jebao SLW20's. MY plan is to put those on the back about 2/2.5 feet apart and then the mp40's on sides. I'm hoping if I can mess with the settings and intensity, I might be able to find the flow I'm looking for. Good luck brother.

Back