how much flow for a 46 gallon bow front

mpsteve

Sps connoisseur
hey i was just curious as to how much flow on average is good for a 46 gallon bow front. still a little unsure weather or not to save money and get the hydor koralia, or fork up the extra doe and get the tunez nanostream. all comment are appreciated

I'd vote for the Tunze, a 6025 should suit your tank, there are some simple mods to the body that would make it even better.

o i know the 6025 can make 1200 gph with the mod, but im asking how much flow i need, and with that i can deside witch to get

What are keeping or planing to keep in the tank?

For reference I have a Hydor Koralia #1 and #2 plus about 200GPH from the return in my 20 gallon high.

SPS=More flow
Softies/LPS= Less flow

On a bowfront, you are better off with 2 sources for random flow....so 2 of <something>

I'm a nanostream fan....I have 5 of them running in my tanks

i was going to go with 2 of what ever i get, and face towards each other. idk what i really want, i like frogspawn, zoas, anything with a alot of color, and i deff want a anemone when i get a astablished tank. i like a wide aray of corals, and to be honest, i dont know the diff between sps/lps. so like if i only need 1200 gph, ill get 2 hydors, if i need like 2000+ or like 1800, ill get the nanostreams, and mod one or mod both depending on what i need. also i will have a remora c pro for a skimmer, and no sump as of yet, maybe when i get a bigger tank, when i know what im doing, first salty tank

again...

I have the 46g bow and i keep 2 hydor koralia 2's -both about 3/4's of the way up facing each other, also keep another smaller power head in th back bottom left corner to keep the flow behind my rock island..

i notice you have alot of questiosn for 46g bow, if you want to pm me feel free I'll probably be able to answer any questions you have in regards to keeping a reef in this tank

I had a modded maxijet 1200 and it didnt matter where and how i pointed the thing it stirred up and moved my sand everywhere. I even tried pointing the output from the magnum 50 canister i had been using directly into the stream to break it up and it did nothing. I ended up with corners 6" deep and others down to bare glass. In my opinion, its really easy to get too much flow in this size tank, the bow almost promotes circular circulation, kinda like a whirlpool but no funnel. Just my $.02

i modded both of them, and my sand doesnt move, but the water does move alot, i may need to buy some new covers, or cover, maybe too much flow

Back