Examples of flow in a 90 gallon tank

stingythingy45

BRS Member
I've been thinking about the flow in my 90 gallon lately.
It consist of:

2 -MJ 1200s = 590 gph

I know I shouldn't count the return from the sump.
I have mostly all leathers,zoas and just a few monticap.

I'm thinking about adding a MJ 1200 with the algae free mod to the equation.
This would add another 1600 gph that I would put on a time to cycle on and off every few hrs.I'm just afraid of the "aint broken,why fix it"syndrone happening.What do you all think about this plan?

first, you can add in the flow from your return,

consider adding an eductor if you want to increase flow from your return.

with 2 unmodified mj1200's, I think you're light on flow.

My 72 has about 500GPH of return flow, and 2 modified nanstream 6025's that are dialed up for 1000gph each. I keep LPS and zoas in there.

In my 92, I have an MP40w on reef crest, and 2 or 3 other modded nanostreams, total is good for about 5000gph....and I think both tanks could use more flow.

Look at the seaflow mods for your maxijets, and keep the same footprint with a BUNCH more flow

Bob, more flow is always a good idea in my opinion, and even though softies dont require the same amount of flow as SPS they sure do look cool moving all about chaotically {sp}....and FWIW the algea free mods are junk go with the sea flow you will be VERY happy with the results, and if it were my tank i'd get two of them and put one modded MJ1200 on each end of the tank.....right now i have a MP40w vortech (3000gph) at one end of my 75, and two sea-flow modded MJ1200's at the other end, so thats 5400gph and I plan on getting another V-tech to put it up to 6000gph but I have no sand storms and everything continues to grow and show great color and the fish love the flow plus it really helps to keep detritus in the water coloum to get skimmed out...

Jay is right about the sea-flows they rock, and IMO eductors are way to big and bulky for a 75 or a 90, they even look big in a 120, but if thats the route you want to go then i have two of them and ill give them to you for what i paid (cheap)

Last edited:
I too echo the MJ mods, I have use them and been very happy. They are much smaller than the other pumps that put out simmilar gph. They are also very quiet and can be run on wavemakers/timers.
I have used both the seaflow and sureflow (algae free) mods and the sea flows are a lot smaller and seem to work better. I do reccomend the Algae free magnet mounts for the MJ mods, (can be used with either sea flow or sure flow) they work great and are ridiculously stong. You will not have a pump move once in place. I had a mount bracket brake once on me, emailed Aglae Free, and had 2 new brackets for free from them in a few days, so there customer service is pretty good.

i too have alot of flow in my 72 bow.....i have a koralia 4 and a tunze 6060 constantly on in the back of my rocks and 2 seio 820 in the front connected to a wave maker....

Thanks for all the replies.

Jay,
I figure there's about 900 GPH turnover with the return pump and the 2 MJs.

I will definitely look into the Seaflow mods.
I wasn't sure if I should get things moving too fast in the tank.The leathers and stuff have great polyp extention.I'm mostly worried about detritus build up,even though I turkey baste the rock weekly.

If I was you, I would replace the MJ1200s with either 900s or 600s with the seaflow mods. Cut your power consumption in half and quadruple your flow in one step.

The lathers will close up until they get used to the new flow patterns...but that's to be expected.

Back