Flu like symptoms after working in tank

Moose

Non-member
Today I did some rearranging and messing in my tank and water change, was in there for about 3-4 hours, I had gloves on for most of it. About an hour after being in the tank, I started with what I thought was allergies, running nose, sneezing, watery eyes, it's been about five hours since symptoms started, and it's like I got the flu , chills and all, even having to use an inhaler. Took zertec and tylonal severe cold and flu.... If I still feel like this in the am I may call the doctor, anyone know what to tell him or has this happened to anyone before, or know how long it lasts?

Yea I have them... Thought I was okay with the gloves, and thought I was just pulling brown zoos, I've done it hundreds of times never had this reaction... Anyone know how long it lasts, this is horrible... Is there anything a doctor can do? I will read the thread...

If you are having trouble breathing, do not hesitate to go to the ER. I didn't but should have. At the very least, take some Benadryl if you have it. Sneezing, chills, fever, shallow breathing is what I experienced. Symptoms lasted about 5-6 hours for me, I finally fell asleep though so can't say for sure. When I woke up my fever broke and felt better. I hope you feel better man. Keep us posted.

Yea I have them... Thought I was okay with the gloves, and thought I was just pulling brown zoos, I've done it hundreds of times never had this reaction... Anyone know how long it lasts, this is horrible... Is there anything a doctor can do? I will read the thread...

If it is really bad, I would consider going to the hospital.

I have a nebulizer and Havana taken that, I'm feeling 80%, throats on fire! light chest tightness! with a running nose. Thanks for the advise, I'm going to air out the house even though it's freezing and will not be running tests on the tank today :(
For future reference , respirators like the surgical throw away? With or without charcoal? I never want to experience this again....

If you are having trouble breathing, do not hesitate to go to the ER. I didn't but should have. At the very least, take some Benadryl if you have it. Sneezing, chills, fever, shallow breathing is what I experienced. Symptoms lasted about 5-6 hours for me, I finally fell asleep though so can't say for sure. When I woke up my fever broke and felt better. I hope you feel better man. Keep us posted.

Fortunately I have a nebulizer and inhaled steroids for really bad asthma, other wise I would have gone....

I have a nebulizer and Havana taken that, I'm feeling 80%, throats on fire! light chest tightness! with a running nose. Thanks for the advise, I'm going to air out the house even though it's freezing and will not be running tests on the tank today :(
For future reference , respirators like the surgical throw away? With or without charcoal? I never want to experience this again....

probably not just respirators, from what I understand it can be absorbed in other ways as well, like through skin.

Still be careful. It is not worth trying to be a hero. If you at all think you need go to to the ER do not hesitate.

Thank you I appreciate it.. I called my doctor since i am still wheezing waiting for a call back, my biggest concern is that they take me seriously. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
I only have two palys but seeing these type post had me nervous when I rearranged my rock work. I wore a pair of shoulder gloves I use when I field dress a dear with an extra pair of gloves

Back