For those who hang their lights, make sure you screw into solid wood...

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
So I get a call from the wife today while i'm an hour away with her freaking out that something happened to my tank.
Assuming it overheated and everything is dead (i'm paranoid, what?) I start freaking out too.
She then tells me the light fell from the ceiling on one side and smashed into the tank.
So NOW i'm thinking great, light is broken, tank is cracked, light is in the water ruined, everything is electrocuted and dead.
Turns out I mounted one hang side into a solid wood beam last August which still held,
but the side that was hooked into drywall/ceiling whatever it is with the supplied drywall anchor kit, had after 12 months finally ripped loose.
But wait! I made a screened mesh lid to keep my wrasse and clowns from jumping out! Ahh.
Yep, turns out the light had a nice soft landing out of the water, no glass was harmed, and the light is fully in tact and dry.
I did have some plaster dust from the ceiling land into the tank, but at such a minute amount i'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue.
Most of it I figure got skimmed out down to the filter sock in the sump anyways as plaster floats on water.
Could've lost everything today, and thanks to my screen lid, I didn't.
Funny how I made it to keep stuff from jumping out, not falling in, but hey, best $15 I ever spent!
Now I have holes in my ceiling, but hey, that's an easy fix.

Luckily the light also came with a tank bracket kit:
20130709_182714.jpg

And to add another positive note, the light is now further from the tank which is giving a better spread and while I thought the intensity wouldn't be enough (it's at 100% already) everything not only seems happy, but my zoas and palys have never looked better. Not sure I like the bracket mounts, but i'm sure it'll grow on me. While I was in the city I also found a very strong clamp fan from Kenmore for $10 @ K-Mart to keep the tank cool. Guess my night didn't go nearly as bad as I thought. Still wasted an hours worth of gas driving from Dighton to Fall River and back though but hey, compared to the other possibilities...

you run maxapect razor at 100 % wow. I burn coral at 80%, 5 inches off water.

Well it's 65 percent on white and 100 on blue. But I'm starting to think that's too high. I'm gonna start dialing it back until the SPS shows a sign of aggravation I guess. It doesn't LOOK very bright, but I guess looks can be deceiving with LED. Will help reduce algae growth too so why not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wow! Nice save, glad everything is ok. I love the look of that LED fixture btw. Once my Tek-Light T5 fixture goes I'll prob be going for that (unless something better comes along by then).

The OCReef version of this light is cool too. IMO not strong enough for a 40g though. Wish it had a 4th cluster of LEDs

This thread just moved one of my "to do's" up on the list. Light has been screwed into drywall-only for a year now. I haven't had the motivation to take it all down and reinforce it into wood. No cover on my tank, it would be catastrophic......Guess that'll be my project tonight!

I am using Ecoxotic Marine in one tank and in another Trulumen pro. They are waterproof.

The LFS when they sold me the trulemen the guy just pushed it with the hand and it landed in the bottom of his tank. I though he did it acidentally so my reaction was to run to unplug it. The guy started to laugh. That was his way of selling it and demostrating they were waterproof. For the Ecoxotic I just belive what the internet site says.

You were very lucky !!!!!!

This thread just moved one of my "to do's" up on the list. Light has been screwed into drywall-only for a year now. I haven't had the motivation to take it all down and reinforce it into wood. No cover on my tank, it would be catastrophic......Guess that'll be my project tonight!

Believe me, reinforce that thing a.s.a.p., lol. This light is light (hahaha PUN!) and it still pulled out of drywall.
And I used an oversized anchor for it too so IDK, i'm surprised still even though it's been a worry in the back of my head for awhile now.

I am using Ecoxotic Marine in one tank and in another Trulumen pro. They are waterproof.

The LFS when they sold me the trulemen the guy just pushed it with the hand and it landed in the bottom of his tank. I though he did it accidentally so my reaction was to run to unplug it. The guy started to laugh. That was his way of selling it and demostrating they were waterproof. For the Ecoxotic I just belive what the internet site says.

You were very lucky !!!!!!

That's cool they're waterproof! I'm damn sure mine isn't though as I can see the wires inside when I look through the vents.
Did that guy have anything in the tank? I'd never knock a light into a tank on purpose if it has livestock, lol.

I used these to hang http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php my light (Elos AquaPlanet which is heavy) the sheetrock will give out before these things do (256lbs. limit on the anchor). I also used these on this wall mount I made before, I could pull down on it pretty well with no budging of the mount.

My hanging kit is not hooks I used this one from Sunlight Supply.
Sunlight-Supply-Hanger-Kit-Two-Point-Connection-99.jpg
The cable goes thru the bullet looking thing which gets screwed onto the threads of a coupling that the anchor screw goes thru. I ditched the toggle bolts that came with the kit and used the ones linked above.

Last edited:
Yeah I wish I had gone with a toggle bolt or something. Actually, now that you mention it, I bet I could fit one nicely through the new hole that's in my ceiling...
Hmm...

That's cool they're waterproof! I'm damn sure mine isn't though as I can see the wires inside when I look through the vents.
Did that guy have anything in the tank? I'd never knock a light into a tank on purpose if it has livestock, lol.

Yes.....it was a fish tank.

All fixed! Toggle bolt that handles up to 115lbs. Considering the light weighs I think like 15ish, I'm sure they'll do. Gave the cable a few light tugs with no signs of movement from the toggle.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373933389797.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373933389797.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 484
Back