Found : Red Leech looking thing

Triax

Just add Water!
I need to learn to post pictures but..... check this out.

I went and took my magnetic cleaner to clean algea and when I moved it a 2 1/2 inch red Leech-type of thing with filiments on the side that it used to swim - start swimming around.

I caught it and put it into a cup and eventually flushed it.

However - might anyone have an idea of what it could be - and fromt here is it good or bad that i found it. It had a black head(?) at least it swam following it ;-)

Any infor would be appreciated.:eek:

I have bristel worms I know that - trying to caprtue and remove them as well.
However this was about 1/4" accross and I had never seen it before - looked like a leech and therefore fot the flush. Did want to reintroduce to tank not knowing what it was.

Why are you trying to remove the bristle worms, they are good for our tank as long as they don't get to big in size

people freak out too much about their tank. If you dont see it doing damage, just leave it alone.

Davids1024 - I was talking with LFS - Aqua Addicts - they indicated they were not good for the tanks -

I guess the quesiton would be how big is too big for the bristelworms?

I don't want to mess with my tank as it jsut hit the broken in and balanced phase. Coraline growing everywhere :)

I think they're too big when you start having dreams that one got out and ate your bird.

Hopefully, you took a pic of it before you flushed it, anyway...

Triax said:
I need to learn to post pictures but..... check this out.

I went and took my magnetic cleaner to clean algea and when I moved it a 2 1/2 inch red Leech-type of thing with filiments on the side that it used to swim - start swimming around.

I caught it and put it into a cup and eventually flushed it.

However - might anyone have an idea of what it could be - and fromt here is it good or bad that i found it. It had a black head(?) at least it swam following it ;-)

Any infor would be appreciated.:eek:

Maybe next time atleast get a pic before you dump it. there are 1 million species of things in the ocean...

I have some bristle worms. They eat the detritus that is left behind by other things and they stay pretty much within the rocks except to come out a bit and eat. If they are getting big that means they are getting rid of a lot of waste that they are eating. If they get too big, you can always take them out. I've seen some that are the length of a car and as wide as the width of a dollar bill.
I don't think that I would like them that big in my tank, but they were interesting to look at.

GinaD said:
I think they're too big when you start having dreams that one got out and ate your bird.

Hopefully, you took a pic of it before you flushed it, anyway...
OMG I had that exact dream!

OK - I have to admit that I HATE bristleworms. I've seen traps for bristleworms - does anyone have any experience with them? Do they work?

Thanks,
Diane

I had one swimming around in my tank a couple months after I got my first shipment of TBS rock. Normally, I would leave them alone, but this one was actually swimming around in the water and writhing all around. Just too gross to leave in. I caught him and put him in my gorilla crab tank. I never saw him again. Here's a pic.
IMG_1075.jpg

dg13 said:
OK - I have to admit that I HATE bristleworms. I've seen traps for bristleworms - does anyone have any experience with them? Do they work?

Thanks,
Diane

I tried the bristelworm trap a while ago and all I caught were tons of pods and tons of the little serpent stars.

I agree with Rich if it isn't doing damage, leave it alone.

Jocko that is what I had in the tank.

Little different color but the same type of worm.

I just don't like the looks of the little sucker either normal bristle worms or that cool one in the pick. I am finding that they like to live in shells and that I can usually get one or two by take out the shell they are hiding in. I have a few bigger ones in my tank and am going to get a pair of long tweezers and pick them out as I see them.

Back