Found some Lime, Right type?

Troubleman

Non-member
I found some 50 lb bags of lime, and I am curious if it can be used to make up a kalk drip.

It is called "Minute Man" instantly plastic type s hydrated lime.
it is a lime for masonry purposes with following chemical properties:

Magnesium Hydroxide Mg(OH2) 42.0 %
Calcium Hydroxide Ca(OH2) 56.0%
CaO and MgO (non volotile basis) 98.3%

Water retention 91%
Plasticity figure 450 minutes

I'm not sure what some of this info means or if I can use it. It's $5.20 a bag.
If any other info is needed, I have the technical data sheet.

Thanks

If this doesn't work, where can I get quicklime, otherwise I'll will get pickling lime.

Magnesium Hydroxide Mg(OH2) 42.0 %

This combination sounds like you are getting Calc and MG as a bonus, however the contents only accounts for 98% (56+42) of the contents of the bag.

The other 2% could kill your reef.
(I am a newbie. Does anyone have better info or advice? )

I'd use it on my yard though :)

I'll sell you a 50 pound bag of Quick Lime for $35... I have an extra bag.
That's the price I paid, basically.

Hey moe, were part of that pooled order? I didn't find that until after order was placed. I can take that off your hands, just might take a while, I work for nstar and we are on strike. Trying not to spend too much at the moment. But if it's available in a few weeks and still not on strike I will take it.

Thanks

Yeah Troubleman, part of the pooled order.
I'll have that extra bag for a long time. Don't worry about it going anywhere. ;)

Ok...so now your the second person in as many days that has mentioned working for nstar. Is it that since your on strike now you guys actually have some time to surf the internet? ;)

Why yes it does, Because as the paper says we make 97k a year. What they dont tell you is the actuall 40 hour a week job is 2080 hours a year. In order for us to make $97,000 we need to work around 3000 hours. By working all this overtime we don't get to spend much time with our families, and most of this time we are forced to work, it is not voluntary.

>Magnesium Hydroxide Mg(OH2) 42.0 %

This combination sounds like you are getting Calc and MG as a bonus, however the contents only accounts for 98% (56+42) of the contents of the bag.<

Not certain on this....I think that in the presence of the calcium hydroxide the magnesium just falls out of solution. You will be better off with Moe's lime.

Back