FOWLR question

chuck

why why why
Is a skimmer needed for a FOWLR?

I am debating changing my 75 over to just a FOWLR since I cannot afford the good lights right now for it. Then setting up my 29 as a reef.

A skimmer is probley more inportant in a FO as the tend to be messy eaters and you want to remove as much protein as possable before it breaks down in your tank. Also depending what you keep for fish they can and will eat your clean up crew so removing the extra protein is important.

skimmer is an absolute requirement for FOWLR.

Do you have a sump for the 75?

I do have a sump, I may also just break down the 75 and sell it... still debating

I would get a skimmer, but I have heard of people who don't use one.

I accually would make a reef tank a fowlr for a couple months before ever adding corals, it assures the system is ready.

75 to small for most of the fish unless you want all small fish i would'nt bother,the bigger the skimmer the better how would you like to swim in a toilet

Clam Man said:
75 to small for most of the fish unless you want all small fish i would'nt bother,the bigger the skimmer the better how would you like to swim in a toilet

I have swam in the beaches around here before... although I can see why a nice tropical fish would not want to

I think our toilet is a little cleaner than some of these beaches around here.

Well I love that dirty water
Oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, yeah)

Because I love that dirty water
Oh, oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, yeah)

I have a 65G FOWLR and have a skimmer for it, but have been having trouble with the airstone of late, so it hasn't been running. I find that without it running, the nitrates are at a pretty constant 20, despite a weekly 15 gallon water change. I'd say definitely run the skimmer. It'll be less work for you.

dz6t said:
skimmer is an absolute requirement for FOWLR.

That's clearly not true, because many many FO tanks are run with no skimmer without problems.

I'd say skimmers are very good filtration for a FO tank, but not the only option because wet-dry's and canisters, that create too much nitrates in reefs, can be used on FO tanks where nitrates aren't as toxic.

If you already have one, I'd probably keep it, and if you need more filtration because you add a lot more fish, then add some sort of wet-dry filter as well.

Back