Fuge cloudy , rest of system clear .. stumped

reefstarter

Non-member
I can't figure this one out . I came home checked my system before going back out and my fuge was all cloudy . any Ideas why ? Im stumped here looking for a direction to look to begin figuring out why . Its a low flow area for sure where I have grape colupra not sure thats spelled right . a few kenya trees a few hermits pulsing xenia and sand . I have been considering changing out the sand but was talked out of it . Maybe thats it ? It is 2-3 years old . any suggestions will help

Thanks

Well that's pretty a vague description. Is it just sand that got stirred up and will settle in a few hours. Is it really the water or just rarely cleaned glass making it seam cloudy. If ya got water with Alot of particulate in it it would likely show up in other places.

Check the algae. Make sure they are not melting. Also check the temperature of the fuge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't really know how to describe it . Some sort of bloom I'd guess. Like I said the DT , drag tank and sump which is right next to the fuge are all crystal clear. Probably being diluted ? The glass does have a film but looking over the top it's very cloudy. Probably nothing to worry about and definitely not kicked up sand . I bet when I get home it will be cleared up. If not then a googling I will go lol

Grape Macro Algae can go asexual and cloud up a tank.
Do a search on calurpa gong asexual.

Well I am home now fuge is crystal clear again , strange. Must have been a bacteria bloom that I just happen to see. I am aware of colupra going asexual but I should probably do some more research in to it . I don't really worry about it since my tangs eat the stuff like its crack .

if the algae is melting , what ? trim I suppose right ? some of it is turning brown but it has done that before and then it would go through a big growth spurt .

do you dose kalk? If so your ATO could have sucked up a clump of kalk and dumped it into the sump. The same goes for when dosing alk or ca, as that can cause a localized cloudiness in a sump, depending on the amount and circulation of the sump, of course.

I don't use kalk, ( well sometimes ) but this is not one of those times . and my ATO doesn't dump in my fuge . That is a 40 breeder set above the sump which is a 150 gallon stock tank. That has all my drains , skimmer and reactor plumbing , I don't normally run any reactors either . Just a skimmer and a fuge thats it . And I use a calcium reactor . coupled with a masterflex pump to feed it . best money Ihave spent on this tank right there .

Back