fuzz id

Sadly it's been a few months and it hasn't gone away on its own. If it was above water I would without a doubt say it was fungus growing on something. Even my qt without any fish just a few corals and no feeding it's growing on the sides, egg crate, everywhere. At least the qt doesn't have the red slime.

Thanks TopheReef, not sure why I didn't look at dino pics before but they look just like the pics and vids of Amphidinium I've found online.

Shawn

Decided to try another sample. This time I strained it with gentian violet. Not sure it'll help with an id but you can see the sheath is still see thru but the inside is very dark.

I grabbed a big blob of it and it feels like filter floss its so coarse.

1945b is 100x 1946a is at 400x.

Thanks,
Shawn

Attachments

• 0805171945b.jpg
    0805171945b.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 0805171946a.jpg
    0805171946a.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 175
Is this stuff causing any damage or is it just rough to look at?

Also, have you tried a short spine urchin? They are like $10 - I understand it may be a band aid but at this point sounds like may be worth it..

It's smothering some things. Some things don't care. Mushrooms keep bailing and floating around the tank.

S

That sucks... I would at least try a couple urchins and see if they can slow it down a bit. I cant find anything else unless you think it is actually some sort of dino...

So, couldn't find an urchin right away and decided to try fluconazole after reading how it works. It turned the fuzz into jelly that came right of off.

Some of the corals might not make it but as least it's not taking over my tank anymore. Here's what the qt tank looks like now.

Attachments

• 0918171957_HDR.jpg
    0918171957_HDR.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 168
Back