Gate valves

The pricing for spears valve is in the same ballpark, especially when you consider shipping. The BRS “economy” valve pricing makes no sense though.

I haven’t used a spears but the gate valve on my lifereef skimmer is it’s Achilles heel. it’s not smooth And the screw that attaches the knob is rusty. All the lifereef owner groups suggest upgrading to spears.

FYI. Grainger sells high end gate valves for 11.00 vs. Bulk reef 30.00. You do the math.
Which models. That's like comparing apples to oranges. Pretty sure they all have a rating and the ones BRS sells are for industrial applications. I've done the comparisons in the past. Do we need industrial for fish tanks, more than likely not, but they are a stronger material/plastic that's being offered for the difference in price.

Last edited:
It's the same gate valve. Actually even better made, fluid movement. I couldnt believe it myself. When the guys at grainger looked at brs gate, they laughed. I kinda felt like idiot for paying that. But after I plumbed both I like grainger way better.

It's the same gate valve. Actually even better made, fluid movement. I couldnt believe it myself. When the guys at grainger looked at brs gate, they laughed. I kinda felt like idiot for paying that. But after I plumbed both I like grainger way better.
I used to buy stuff at grainger years ago, it was always a hassle because I didn't have a comnercial account. Has that changed?

Back