Gauging electric usage and return pumps

stingythingy45

BRS Member
I've had a GenX40 running as a return pump now for over 5 years.
About 11 feet of head to the display from the basement.
Noticed my electric bill over the past year has been climbing considerably.
And not just cause they're gouging us. BTW isn't National grid prices suppose to lower?

Questions

1) Where can I get a plug in kilowatt hour tracking meter for appliances/pump? I tried Home Depot and they had no idea what I wanted.

2) Has anybody had a pump that seems to be working fine, but starts drawing excess power?

3) Can the impeller section be removed and cleaned on these pumps? Do you do this often if so?

I'm honestly thinking about losing the basement sump and go with a new DC style return pump under my tank to help save energy cost.
Less water volume would be easier to heat as well.
I simply can not afford to be paying nearly 1/2 a weeks pay to N.G., and without the ACs even installed yet.:rolleyes:

We have a kill-a-watt meter in the library. If it's not available LMK and you can borrow mine.

Oh, and those new Chinese DC pumps are great....... Until they die. I have two, both of which have already been replaced under warranty (which is now expired).

Does anyone know if all the DC pumps are just copies of each other? They look very similar, the Deepwater one, the Waveline, the Reef Octopus. Primary difference is the controller

If I am not mistaken, the technology employed in the DC pumps has been around a LONG time, they are just DC motors. That means "good luck getting a patent" on it, and that means any chinese company willing to stamp them will at their own leisurely pace.
Knowing how these "outsourcing" works though, I would assume they come out of the same shack and receive different stickers, ...

Yup, pretty much a DC motor= a servo.
They're just water proof servos.

I'm surprised they haven't come out with a reverse>forward cycle instead of a ramp up cycle.

Back