Geoff’s 265 build

Sorry about the bad pics ill try to do better. Here is my favorite that i got. JF Vino from the Fragfather. Cant wait to see how this one turns out.
IMG_3961.jpeg

Just a quick update. Got 15 frags from tidal gardens. Also picked up this favia at petco. Cant wait to see how it turns out in a couple years lol. so far i have about 50 coral frags in the tank. All is well up here in Maine. Just been getting by with water changes, but starting to think about setting up a kalk doser till things really start taking off.
EE26EA38-C8A7-4F8A-B24C-6FF13FCCD00B.jpeg

Hi guys, hope everyone’s well. Just wanted to give a quick one-year update on my tank. Things have been a little chaotic this year, and we just had our first child born on New Year’s Eve so I’m sure you can imagine things have been hectic. As far as the tank goes, everybody is happy the coral is doing fine. It’s hard to tell but there is probably about 50 fags in there with plenty of space to grow out. I’m going to be adding more and more coral as we all do. Lol. But yeah just wanted to give a quick update. Here is a video I made tank running one year now.

Last edited:
Hi guys, hope everyone’s well. Just wanted to give a quick one-year update on my tank. Things have been a little chaotic this year, and we just had our first child born on New Year’s Eve so I’m sure you can imagine things have been hectic. As far as the tank goes, everybody is happy the coral is doing fine. It’s hard to tell but there is probably about 50 fags in there with plenty of space to grow out. I’m going to be adding more and more coral as we all do. Lol. But yeah just wanted to give a quick update. Here is a video I made tank running one year now.

Looking nice!

Well things took an unfortunate turn today. I woke up early today before the lights came on and inspected the tank w a flashlight and noticed that my red monti cap had monti eating nudis on it. I just got a few monti frags recently and thought i took special care to inspect and clean them. They were dipped in bayer also, but i must have missed an egg or two

luckily my other montis weren’t super encrusted yet, so i took every montipora out and dipped and cleaned everything thoroughly and went to petsmart and grabbed a 10 gallon tank and a cheap filter. I had a spare jaboae wavemaker and a old giesman t5 light i could use.

I guess this is part of the hobby right??

Now that my main display is free of montipora, how long should I expect the nudis to survive??
IMG_5555.jpeg
IMG_5553.jpeg
IMG_5556.jpeg

Day 2 without power on the coast of Maine. Tank is being powered by our generator so im expecting everything to be ok.

On another note I think i got all the Nudibranchs early enough. None in the QT tank and havent seen any on the tiny fragment of setosa i left in the DT for bait. Might put some montis back in soon as a tester.
IMG_5642.jpeg

It good to hear youve isolated and hopefully gotten ahead of those little buggers. Ive had monti eating nudies in the past and theyre a real pain. Devoured my Leng Sy cap and bubblegum digi in like a month and they were large. In the end after all the attempts of killing them I had to remove all the monties and frag the them in order to preserve them. Unfortunately the Leng Sy didnt make it back then but I was able to introduce back the others after months of quarantine. Never really the same in that tank after that...sometimes Murphy wins.

Generators are a must with these tanks even if its just to power the pumps and heater. Ive learned that the hard way over the years but even a 2nd hand gas genny will save youre 1000s of dollars in corals and fish when the time comes. Good luck with everything... build is very nice!

Ty Steve!
Yea this last nor easter took the power out again for like 40 hours but the genny saved the day.

In terms of the nudis, Hopefully I got them but things started to die in the qt and it was just too much work to keep running at this point so i kept what montis i could and put them back in the main tank. Fingers crossed.

Also, my teo eb328s sh** the bed in the power surge. I spoke with Harry Singer and hes gonna try to fix them, so i mailed them out this morning.

On a better note, I was able to go to the Bangor coral swap today which was a refreshing breath of fresh air after all these storms and keeping busy w our newborn son. Speaking of son, Son snd Sand reef had some super chunky acros for like $30 so i grabbed one and also snagged some pretty nice torches from Brendan and Kyle.

Great day overall
IMG_5807.jpeg
IMG_5817.jpeg
IMG_5818.jpeg

Guys im devastated. We lost all the fish! I had the areas being worked on tarped off and covered the tank in plastic, fan in fish tank room, ran carbon and skimmer air intake running through carbon as well. Yesterday after the first coats were applied, I checked on them before bed and everything was fine. Today they finished the varnish and when I checked the tank they were all dead. There is still fine dust everywhere in the entire house and the fumes are horrendous. Aside from removing the fish from the house entirely, i dont know what i could have done differently!! very sad and discouragingView attachment 189067View attachment 189069
I think in this case, the plastic wrapping of the tank actually caused the fatality of those fish. I think the “bad” air got into the tank and since it’s wrapped up, it takes longer for it to escape. Not to mention the low level of oxygen being wrapped up like that.
It’s too late now, but I wonder if it would’ve been better to cover the tank with a piece of plywood or something flat to prevent the dust and debris going in the tank while the work is going on. Then take it and leave the skimmer off when the work is done with open windows and/or fan running to circulate clean air into the room.

Back