Todd's budget 265 build

toddhgr

Non-member
I'm switching over from my 65 gallon to a 265. This thread will hopefully document the progress of the build. Get comfortable, its gonna take a while..............

The current 65

The 265 in it's former glory

As it sits now waiting for a new start

Now that's an upgrade! Should be a heat tank after a good cleaning!

Never had copper in it. I've honestly never used anything copper based.

Three holes drilled in it!! Installed the bulkheads, now to scrape silicone and reseal. This should be fun......

Good Luck! I cannot wait to see how this turns out.

Keep us posted or start a blog on the forum.

Not too much progress this weekend. Just about finished stripping the old silicone and prepping to reseal. Also, I've decided to go semi-rimless. After removing the top trim I realized that the two top braces are seperate from the trim. I'm going to build two replacements to match the old ones out of clear acrylic and use just those. Should look pretty good if it works out.

You might have a tough time bonding the acrylic to the glass I would check in to that before ordering your pieces. And consider different options. You can contact the tank manufacturer for good info on bracing for that tank

The old ones are black acrylic and the way that they are built, they clip down over the sides so the bond doesn't seem that critical. I'm thinking that the tank deflection holds them on pretty well.

Tank is resealed and the overflow boxes are installed. I also ended up deciding to use the 165w LEDs from marsaqua. I really wanted to go led and these are all that I can afford right now. I ordered two for now and I'm going to set them up over the center of the tank. As I get more funds I'll eventually order four more and have them spread over the whole tank.

Don't really know how to take the last comment........

Anyway, things are moving along. Glacially, but still moving. Ended up replacing the center if both braces with .25" acrylic rather than make new ones. Also bought a 40 breeder for $40 at petco for my sump. Hopefully I'll have time to install the baffles today. But now I come to a question. If I'm running gfo and carbon reactors is there any reason or advantage to also run a refugium? I like the idea of a pod factory for the mandarins that I will hopefully have in the future but if the reactors keep phosphates and nitrates in check do I really need the fuge?

Back