getting a barnacle blenny out of a rock?

FinsUp!

Non-member
I have a barnacle blenny that I need to get out of a large piece of rock. i'm trying to get my rock sold and break down my tank, but I can't until I evict the little guy.

Easier said than done. Anyone who knows barnacle blennies knows that they're lightning fast and there's nothing they love more than their hole in a rock.

I've tried everything.

tried to feed him then catch him with a net
tried feeding, then putting the net in front of his hole
tried the homemade bottle trap (doesn't work. They're too smart to fall for it.)
tried scaring him out... shaking the rock a bit, lifting it out of the water for a few seconds to see if he'd jump out...
tried putting the rock into the 5g (Temporarily... It barely fits so I can't keep it in there) I'm transferring them to and feeding so he would come out.

nothing. As far as he's concerned he's going down with his rock.

Any ideas? I've got to get this rock gone. I can't afford to run a basically empty tank. Now he won't even come out to eat if he sees the net or my hand near the water.

You could always sell the rock with the fish, or instead of trying to catch him lure him out with food and then take the rock out - if he still gets back in his hole with you moving the rock then back to my first suggestion :)

Last edited:
Definitely not gonna sell him :) That tiny little fish is the reason I stayed in the hobby with a 5g instead of getting out completely!

Tried removing the rock too... he's too quick and even if I could remove it in time, he'd just find a new hole in a matter of seconds.

Blennies are pains in the u-know-whats... I had a midas blenny that when I downsized and couldn't find him during the process... All the rock was out of the tank for a good several minutes; enough that he should have died... A few hours after the transfer the little guy was poking around in his new tank...

I'd suggest trying a fish trap. I know there are plenty of people on the forums that are willing to loan one usually...

Blennies are pains in the u-know-whats... I had a midas blenny that when I downsized and couldn't find him during the process... All the rock was out of the tank for a good several minutes; enough that he should have died... A few hours after the transfer the little guy was poking around in his new tank...

I'd suggest trying a fish trap. I know there are plenty of people on the forums that are willing to loan one usually...

Are the real fish traps much different than the homemade ones you can make with a clear bottle though? because I've tried that with his favorite mysis shrimp and he just sat in his hole staring at me like "you think I'm dumb enough to go near that?" and scarfed down a passing pod.

maybe pull the rock out, and hang it above the water, with its hole just touching the water? give it a reason to evac? add a little vigorous shaking, and it should work lol.

I'm not sure if it will work on fish but try taking the rock out and pour some seltzer water over it. The bubbles might irritate the fish enough to get out.

**I've only read about this and have had no first hand experience so I'm not sure if any harm would be done to the fish :)

Back