Getting hot out there

Tanked

Non-member
So it's getting hot out there.

Chillers seem a little expensive for my 92gl ($500+, right ?).

I am thinking about buying an AC, which I don't really need in the living room if it wasn't for my tank.

I wonder if the money I'd save on Chiller I am going to spend on AC power consumption. My living room (and all openly connected rooms - kitchen, corridor and dinning room) is about 500 sq feet.

What do you guys think ?

Erik

Keep in mind that if you put the chiller in the same room as your tank, then all the heat your chiller takes out of the tank will be exchanged into your room, plus a little extra due to inefficiency. And some of this will heat up the tank again, while the rest will just make you sweat. Whereas an AC, while it isn't as directly cooling your tank, it will remove heat to the outside.

It seems to me that a chiller doesn't make much sense unless in can be put in the basement, or the evaporator can be put outside. In the same room it would be like running the fridge with the door open. It just heats up the room. No? :confused:

Nate

For what it's worth. I was having trouble keeping my temps down and had to put in ice-paks on most days last week, but then I finally found a place selling the clip on fans to blow over my fuge, and now my heater can't keep up with the cooling that the little thing is providing. You probably already employ this technique, but I thought it was worth giving my little testimonial. :)

Have you seen ScubaDave's thread about the $25 Energy Star rebate? Also, he says Lowe's has an additional $75 of ACs if you can find an old one to trade in. So keep an eye on the curbs in your neighborhood.

Nate

I just picked up an 8,000 BTU A/C to add to the 24,000btu A/C I already have. Time for the fishies to strap on their Ice skates.

I'm thinking one of my heaters in the fuge may be set too high, hence my 83.2 temp the other day.

So this weekend I am pulling out several heaters & will test/calibrate in my 20g. In addition I am adding a fan to my hood & will add another fan on the sump that I can turn on if needed.
Sunday I will be reworking my tank setup. Hope to get it all done for Monday

Scuba, sounds like another boring, "nothing to do" day...
Tanked, the added benefit of the A/C is, besides keeping the tank cool, it will keep YOU cool on those hot, humid, summer nights.

Looks like I had a heater that was set too high. Pulled 1 out of my sump & today the temp topped out at 81.5. No fan, no A/C, I popped the back 1/2 of the hood up. House was at 81, tank was at 81.5. I like :D

And the pool temp is up to 67. I like this pinpoint remote temp sensor!!

Back