getting tired of this..

skyedolphan

Non-member
most of you know I have been having a MAJOR phosphate issue for the last 6 months. I am now trying phosguard previous attempts have been
40 gallon area for cheato.
mangroves
gfo ( lots and lots of it )
I hgave been removing some of the sand bed every 2 weeks during water changes.
At this point in time I am thinking one of 3 things,
continue removing sand bed till there is none along with the phosguard.
remove sand bed and most of the rock ( possibly leaching from the rocks)
basically goin lower level softies and little rock in the tank more swimming room
Turn the damn thing into a large viaquarium!!!!
any other suggestions?

sorry to hear you are still fighting with it Dawn. I can't begin to imagine the amount of GFO you must go through. I have found that it does not last as long as advertised for sure and in your size system, you must use a pound and a half at a shot. I have had similar issues but the GFO seems to take care of it for me, not having almost 300 gallons as you do, I can at least keep up with it. I wish I could suggest more for you but I certainly feel your pain. It seems like you are trying all there is to try and then some...have you reduced your bioload at all? (not that you had that many fish for your sized system, but that might help) It's tough to not know the source for sure then you can't attack one particular thing. I am sure there is someone on here that can come up with some suggestions for you...until then good luck!

thanks Mike ya it is a total PITA
My Bioload really isnt that big I am down to one tang and maybe12 to 15 small fish, I have stoppped feeding the tank for the last 6 weeks they are getting a pinch of flake once a day and goo mix once a week in a very small portion. my reef lobsters and carpet anemone are not happy either as they only get one silverside every 8 days.
i am coming to beliebe that is\t is leaching fromthe rock and if you dont see a post soon that all must go it is because I am going to try the last route of removing all sand then piecing out the rocks.

i think that it def. could be leaching out of your rock if you had serious issues with phosphate in the past...

i would work on getting a good chunk of that out and see if it helps... you can always cook that rock and add it back later or simply look for new rock.

Personally i would
keep the fuge running
keep running GFO or PhosGuard
keep slowly removing the sand and water changes (what about your RO filters and what not? Time for replacing maybe?)
Work on getting some of that rock out and seeing if that helps.

also, don't know if you've done this yet, but test a batch of new saltwater that you are making up, and make sure there is no phosphates already in that...

my phosphates have always been detectable but this is all "new " rock in the 240 it was from an established tank and "recured" for a few months
my rodi membranes and filters have all recently been changed out and everything is running at 0.
I am hoping to hook up tomorrow night to have a new batch tested and to retest the water to see where we are at now. If not it will have to wait till the meeting.

I have a Pm bullet 2. I pull app 5 gallons of dark,smelly sticky gunk out every 10 days.
Zeovit HMM need to do more research on that end as I have not done any. I did try the vodka thing for 8 weeks with little to no difference. At this point I am seriously giving the viaquarium thing a thought.. less money on all ends, dont have to worry about what to do with the hole in the wall

Back