GFCI Issue

Richard Kagen

Non-member
Seems I have a new problem... my basement sump (2x DC return pumps, skimmer, 1/2 my heating, UV) seems to br tripping the GFCI in the panel when coming back from a power failure. Not every time, but has happened twice now in the last 2 weeks. Thoughts? Bad breaker?

Have had several outdoor GFCI receptacles fail over the years. I think they degrade if run at higher amperage. I powered a separate out building with a big cord and modest load. If I used a small air compressor with any regularity the breaker would fail after a month or 2. Spilt your circuits if you can to reduce amperage and run 2 GFCI units. I've had great luck using corded units from Home Depot, and having their own cords make them portable for a pressure washer or any odd things that might be smart to use them on.

Seems I have a new problem... my basement sump (2x DC return pumps, skimmer, 1/2 my heating, UV) seems to br tripping the GFCI in the panel when coming back from a power failure. Not every time, but has happened twice now in the last 2 weeks. Thoughts? Bad breaker?
Replace gfi. It it pops on new one your overloading or its the breaker. Dont forget with all the ac and fans in house running it may be tripping it from somewhere else. Your panel should be labelled which rooms.

I should have shared that I installed this GFCI breaker as a new circuit in the panel that only support the tank running the items listed which can't possibly be an overload - sounds like it is worth replacing the breaker

I have had some funky AFCI breaker in conjunction with my GFCI outlet when setting up the tank. Like you, I add in two 20A AFCI in the circuit box and two GFCI outlet to split up the load. One side works just fine. The other keep tripping. I did a lot of trial and error by replace the GFCI outlet and other AFCI breaker in the box. It turned out to be the breaker. I returned the breaker for a new one and is working fine now.
I would try another GFCI breaker and see if the problem persists. I have a feeling that some of these breakers are sold from customer return without doing a proper test.

They sell a fairly inexpensive testers that you can just plug into the outlet and test the GFI to make sure it's working properly. We need to do this weekly on job sites and log it for OSHA. Why? Because they fail fairly regularly.
It's a sensitive piece of electrical equipment that unfortunately fails and wears out.
BUT, the sudden load of everything firing up at the exact same time could be very well doing it too. Even though the equipment these days is pretty efficient to run, they do draw a bit more to start up.

I’ve had to replace one recently because it just kept tripping. After the swap, no more issues.

Back