Green and red brain coral bleaching

karina97

Non-member
I picked up a healthy open brain coral yesterday from a brs member that w using a pc lighting. Last night I placed the brain into my tank with just the atincs turned on. The coral opened and seemed fine. When I got home tonight I noticed the the brain has bleached to the point that you can see the skeleton. My cal is at 400 alk 10.1 and mag 1350. Could the difference in the lighting bleach the brain? I'm using 2x 150w mh.

Calcium seem a little low, but that alone would not bleach a coral that quickly... Stress is what bleaches them most of the time... what are your other levels? nitrate, phos etc.... Also what is your lighting? that could be a cause too... if your lighting is too intense that could trigger it too... if it went from pc lighting to MH that's probably what did it.

Shade it for a a week or so and see what happens

he has 2 150 MH. and yes i would guess its the light. how old are the bulbs? is the coral in the sand or up high? i would put it down low and only turn the light on for 2hrs for a day or 2 then 3hrs then 4 add a hr a day till you get back to what your at now

the bulbs are few months old. All of my levels are normal the only corals in the tank that looks to be affected are the new ones ( acans, Brain, and candy corals) Ill put them in the saded area and see that happens all of the new coral are at the bottom of the tanks. Thanks for yout suggustions

Move it to a shaded area under a rock. My 2 brains retracted a lot when I first moved them to a t5 tank from pc. Now that they are shaded they are huge.

he has 2 150 MH. and yes i would guess its the light. how old are the bulbs? is the coral in the sand or up high? i would put it down low and only turn the light on for 2hrs for a day or 2 then 3hrs then 4 add a hr a day till you get back to what your at now

If you change the light schedule to protect the new corals, don't you upset the old corals in the tank?

Mine did the same thing......it is most likely the light. +1 on the shading for a while

Did you acclimate the coral?
You have rather hight alk from dosing reef builder.This could also be the issue with these corals.

Back