Group Buy Colonies

Aquatic Nerd

(Formerly SeventyTimes7)
BRS Member
Something I've thought of recently ,while looking at nice large colonies of high end stuff for sale on reef2reef, was a group buy.
Would anyone else be interested in pooling money together for a nice colony and distributing frags amongst those whove bought in?
Can even turn it into a growout competition of sorts.

There are always awesome colonies for sale. And I always have my eyes on the classifieds so if anyone is interested, let me know. I will post prospective colonies if there are enough people interested in this.

I think that would be cool to set up. See if we can get a sponsored prize for the grow out, if.l not still worth getting something typically out of my price range in.

(Psst... find me a rainbow chalice!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that would be cool to set up. See if we can get a sponsored prize for the grow out, if.l not still worth getting something typically out of my price range in.

(Psst... find me a rainbow chalice!)

I saw a rainbow chalice colony for sale recently. I'll see if I can find it again. Easily 30 eyes. But it was fetching a grand so wed need a decent buy in lol

I'm not a huge sps guy but after I make my tank upgrade I think I'd be down for a sick sps growout.
I'm scowering r2r

I’d be out on sticks unless they were 20 or less... I wouldn’t want to throw any more than that away

Buyers beware this could lead to a messy situation as it has in the past... Lots of details to work out. Who frags it? If the frags die who's on the hook? It's a great idea just be sure to iron out all the details and know it could be just dumping money down the drain... Wait a second we all have saltwater tanks we're used to that already :rolleyes:

Buyers beware this could lead to a messy situation as it has in the past... Lots of details to work out. Who frags it? If the frags die who's on the hook? It's a great idea just be sure to iron out all the details and know it could be just dumping money down the drain... Wait a second we all have saltwater tanks we're used to that already :rolleyes:

We can have a vote as to who grows them out, and have everyone pinky promise not to be mad if it's not them that grows it/them out in their system, and the grower kills them:eek: lol. Also, have a monthly/quaterly update and a due to frag date of sorts... Comence the grow out.

ps... This one time, I cut the tip of my finger off and threw it in my tank for a week to save it ;). Had the doctors sow it back up, it's now my longest finger lol. I can grow anything is where that story was going.

I like the idea and I'd be in if it's a coral I want but can't justify paying for otherwise.
As @afboundguy said, there are details to cover before going into it. If everyone going in is on the same page there shouldn't be any issues, just have to make sure that'll be the case.
I've also thought about doing this with equipment and other material as well. Like filter media and salt, etc. We could pool and buy bulk and save. Not to get off topic, but I'd be interested in that as well.

We can have a group vote amongst participants on who cuts the corals.
Frags would be made and allowed to heal in an agreed location before being picked up.
I'm on a growout for CB Rainbow Yodas in a CT group, everything has been going super smooth there. Frags were distributed to individuals on custom plugs, they were either picked up at the fraggers house or left at a LFS to be grabbed.

There should obviously be more discussion on the topic/rules. This post was mostly to put the bug out there and see who'd be interested

I've also thought about doing this with equipment and other material as well. Like filter media and salt, etc. We could pool and buy bulk and save. Not to get off topic, but I'd be interested in that as well.
I like that idea too!
As far as the coral goes when i come across things I'll post them up and see if everyone is interested. Everyone else keep your eyes out too!

I have a few responses on reef2reef with some prospects. Some have sps and there are a lot of zoas lol. When I go on lunch I'll weed through them and post some pics etc.
In the mean time let's work out some rules.
Length?
What's everyones budget bar?
Could have a money pool prize or we could agree on a piece of equipment maybe.

I can probably snag some custom plugs for the frags.

Back