Growing blastomussa on its side to induce new baby polyps?

luu78

BRS Member
Good morning, anyone experienced this in their system and is actually growing out their blasto frags on its side for more efficient propagation method? I know many reefers grow their SPS frags sideways for more light absorption due to increased exposed surface area on the corals. By chance, I glued my typical red with green center blasto polyp at an angle on the rockscape about a month ago, and last week found 3 baby polyps visible on the top half of the blasto where it is exposed to tank light. I wonder if this method can induce baby polyps to develop as part of natural survival strategy of corals. Of course I’ve placed more blasto frags sideways and started another experiment. It would be great if everyone can share their own experience on this subject. Thanks
06C2D4E2-6A0A-475C-AE6F-202D7A6ECFD0.jpeg

I had intentionally placed my Blasto on its side. It was one head when placing about a year ago. It did well. Lots of heads. I don’t feed it directly either. I’m sure regular feedings would of helped even more growth. You can see now Blasto is growing out towards top of sand bed

Attachments

• DB1EC909-9DC2-4134-BD0E-8B6072393DAA.jpeg
    DB1EC909-9DC2-4134-BD0E-8B6072393DAA.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 239
I had intentionally placed my Blasto on its side. It was one head when placing about a year ago. It did well. Lots of heads. I don’t feed it directly either. I’m sure regular feedings would of helped even more growth. You can see now Blasto is growing out towards top of sand
I had intentionally placed my Blasto on its side. It was one head when placing about a year ago. It did well. Lots of heads. I don’t feed it directly either. I’m sure regular feedings would of helped even more growth. You can see now Blasto is growing out towards top of sand bed
I also find it difficult to feed my single blasto polyp frag on its side, due to its slow food capturing ability. I haven’t bother to spot feed it with big sized food much anymore. The food tends to float away before it can grab on. Thus, I was very surprised to see the three baby polyps on the top half side of the blasto. I usually only get this fast growth rate on Micromussa Lords only with multiple feedings per day.

Yup, all the time. New heads will always pop out around the edge, and usually where the light us first
I actually rotate all my frags regularly in order to get new growth in all directions, and increase the speed of overall growth.
Obviously once mounted in a tank cant really, nor do you really want to.

Yup, all the time. New heads will always pop out around the edge, and usually where the light us first
I actually rotate all my frags regularly in order to get new growth in all directions, and increase the erspeed of overall growth.
Obviously once mounted in a tank cant really, nor do you really want to.
Moving/rotating frags doesn’t hurt the growth? Hmm. Interesting. I do a little different by take par meter on all sides to get best overall par coverage. Tough in mixed tank.

Moving/rotating frags doesn’t hurt the growth? Hmm. Interesting. I do a little different by take par meter on all sides to get best overall par coverage. Tough in mixed tank.
Hurt them???? It makes them 10x happier, with amazing growth in all directions
Par meter, lol
Haven't bothered with one of those in over a decade.
The Corals cooking lets me know what directions to go

Hurt them???? It makes them 10x happier, with amazing growth in all directions
Par meter, lol
Haven't bothered with one of those in over a decade.
The Corals cooking lets me know what directions to go
Lol. I’ll have to experiment.

Back