growth under home depot light

photo.JPGphoto1.JPG

I have been thinking about this for years. Have we over done our ligthing? Lighting technologies are marketing driven, from VHO to PC to t-5 with MH as main stay. Now we are going to LED.
If you look at the ocean, it is pretty dark compare to what is in our tanks.
Another observation is that most of corals are brown in the ocean because they have high density of zooxanthellae algae to capture dim light. A lot of coral developed pretty color under MH by getting rid of a lot of zooxanthellae algae.

I was thinking the same thing while watching videos of the coral propagation program on youtube.the ocean really isnt that bright ,

Ocean isn't that bright, however, nor are the corals within. The lights we use amplify the colors the corals achieve way beyond what the sun can do in the natural environment.

Recently I did some snorkeling in the BVI's and the corals are beautiful of course but no where near as colorful as those in our tanks.

Dude you just touched my SPS.

Yea I recently had a heater break on me killing most of my corals and durin this pic they were at dongs, but I was growing a GBTA, 3 Larry Jackson purple tip acro, and 15 ORA long polyp toadstools

the ocean really isnt that bright ,

Light is not just visible. There are different spectrums. Reds get filtered early by the water column, blues last. To your eyes it may not seem bright, but to critters using the light the wavelength may be uber bright. Sunlight at shallow depths on reefs can be blinding. Next time you are snorkeling flip on your back and look up. Even in New England, it can blind you.

Back