Questions on Chaeto growth

lieberrhl

BRS Member
Hi,

I just did a close look at my Chaeto. I notice that it is not all green and with some white parts. Does it mean it need more/less nutrient or lighting?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 47
Interesting..... Never seen it do that in my tanks. Some sits static and is stiffer than when tumbled or spun in the sump. I notice the green color lightens slightly when spun as well. Could be different lighting, but more of the opinion spun vs. static produces a different result. I run my lights 24/7 and use Kessils.

Please update your post if you find the cause or the color returns from a supplement.
Best of luck!

I saw that when my tank was new and the nutrient levels were all over the place. How old is your system?

I thought the white was from lack of lighting or water movement. Never experienced it personally

If your phosphates are 0 that might be a cause. Also lighting is important for growth. I would try to get at least some measurable phosphate.

I thought the white was from lack of lighting or water movement. Never experienced it personally
I use two chic lights in small sump. Each run for 8 hours, so 16 hours per day. The water movement may be not strong. It’s not spinning.

I think I found the reason. I changed one of the two the refugium lights from "EcoChic Light 8831.00" to " EcoChic Light 8821 (White)", things look better. In the meaning time, another potential factor is I also changed UV to Ozone.

Interesting..... Never seen it do that in my tanks. Some sits static and is stiffer than when tumbled or spun in the sump. I notice the green color lightens slightly when spun as well. Could be different lighting, but more of the opinion spun vs. static produces a different result. I run my lights 24/7 and use Kessils.

Please update your post if you find the cause or the color returns from a supplement.
Best of luck!
I run Kessil in my refugium also... I would say my cheato growth is slow. What light spectrum do you use for the most success? I just turn two nobs for the resulting color. any suggestions? I would love faster growth b/c I dfn have high nitrates.

I have an A360X tuna sun left over from freshwater days. I never bothered to use the spectral controller on it and just blast away on the blue side and about 75% power. I've come to think of the light intensity as the throttle for growth. A powerful light can strip your tank clean in surprisingly short time.

Back