guide line to stocking a successful tank?

customclimates

Non-member
Well it is obvious I need a new camera & I am actively looking. Just a few shots for now. I see a lot of relatively newer set ups stocked to the hills rather quickly. The fear of harming something living & also the cost of each piece I think it is ( IN MY OPINION ONLY! ) a wise choice to just let things simmer for a bit & get comfortable. What do you more experienced reefers recommend for a guide line to stocking a successful tank?

P.S. Still kicking myself for not being able to stay for the meeting, Heard it went great!
View attachment 26664

View attachment 26665

View attachment 26666

View attachment 26668

Last edited:
I think your totally right to take it slow.

It's easy to fill a tank with frags, but if the tank is successful where are they all going to grow out to? Also, as you said, why rush it and risk not being dilligent about caring for the livestock.

IMO it's also best to have some extra space as things come in, that way you have some placement options and can put new frags in the best place to meet their needs (flow, light....) instead of that one spot that has room.

Oh, and of course the eternal quote "nothing good happens fast in a reef tank".

PS, if you want the mods to move this thread to reeftalk, hit the little exclamation point icon at the lower left corner of the post, it will open a dialouge box where you can add a comment (please move to reeftalk).

PPS, how's the skimmer doing? I won't ask about the fish.

Thanks jk….Skimmer is skimming like I have never seen it in the 6 months I have owned it. My wife & daughter said to me last night “what is that smell over by the tank?” My first thought was a snail or something climbed out & was cooking under 500 watts. It was a full waste collector of the darkest (Folgers French Roast) skim mate I have ever seen.
Peeee Youuuu! My god that stuff smells when it is on the money.

Back to my question, I agree in having things grow in where I want them too in the months / years to come rather than putting them where I have room.

Last edited:
Back