H2O2 Dip

Platehead

Non-member
has anyone used hydrogen peroxide dip method to kill byropsis algae? I have a really nice piece of SPS that I need to get out of my display tank into the smaller tank. It is on a rock covered with byropsis. Also a couple of zoas.

I don't want to infect the other tank with the byropsis.

How much do I use and how long?

I assume add to salt water so I don't kill the live rock it is on.

thx

I have used a peroxide dip on a Zoa frag that had a wisp of bryopsis on it. I did 50/50 peroxide/tank water (regular store bought 3% peroxide), dipped the frag for about 30 seconds and back in the tank, it took about 4 treatments before it stopped coming back.
My understanding is that peroxide will kill SPS and many other sensitive corals.

I used H2O2 on multicolored mushroom rock and also on gsp coral. It helped for bryopsis but it seemed to damage the gsp. I have not tried it on sps or lps. The mushrooms did well. GSP still not back to normal full thickness 8 months later. The thing that really helped was raising the Mg with Kent Tech M to about 2000 slowly for 2 months then letting it drop slowly over a few months with water changes. Everything else in tank doing well. I have Duncans, Monticap, small birdnest, Frogspawn, Lobo, Favia, Acans lord, cyphastrea, clam, linkia stars, shrimp, feather dusters, gorgonians, plus fish, etc. I did a thread on Mg treatment and experience a few months ago. So far so good.

Dude, u talking to tha master (just kidding! I can only tell u what I went through... :)) here! :p

Best way I found to get rid of local Bryopsis after killing many of my corals, is using 100% peroxide to fight the beast!

If u treating Zoas, take them out (Rock) if u can, piss them off so they all close up and take 100% .03 Peroxide with a pipete and squirt it around the colony/frag as much as u can for about 30 secs, 60 if u brave! I would try 30 first though...

Then, rinse it in tank water. Repeat if u need to, but that's the best way I have found to work. Dipping in 50%, 30% even 20% mixed H2O2/H2O either kills the coral or doesn't do jack-squat IME.

As Danny said, H2O2 and SPS is pretty much 100% SPS death rate.

If dealing with SPS, get it out of the tank, scrape as much of the Bryopsis as possible and then use the 100% peroxide around the base of the frag really carefully. It has always worked for me (after I learned my lesson :cool:).

FYI, u should think about reducing Phosphate and Nutrients in ur tank to fight it long term and help go away. GFO and Bio-Pellect Reactor is what did it for me.

Good luck my friend, I feel ur pain....

Higor

Last edited:
Back