harlequin tusk safe for a reef tank?

steevareno

BRS Member
I want to start a new SPS and clam tank but i hate to sell my harlequin tusk. I know he will munch on crabs and shrimp but would he be a problem w corals and clams? he's a pretty passive fish, not really aggresive and i'd love to keep him. Anyone have any advice?

From what I heard is only trouble with inverts corals and I do not think so and No idea of clams. I love that fish also but I do not think I'd chance it with clams.

I don't think they will bother corals, but they will eat any snails, shrimp and crabs. Clams?????? There is one in the reef tank at Kelly's in Saugus.

Last edited:
Yeah they eat small fish and most inverts. I had one that ate a bunch of green chromis and may be looking for another. Let me know a price if you decide to sell

Moe_K said:
I'm pretty sure they'll eat small fish. Be warned.

They will not only eat them but brutaly tear them to pieces and enjoy every minute of it.
Feeding our tusk has become something of a store attraction. :p
BTW he likes the occasional Mollusk also, not nearly as aggressive toward them though.

Notice the one in kellys rules out the possiblity of pepermint shrimps...which explains the motherload of aptasia in the tank at kellys. i cant even eat my lunch in front of it anymore. =(

eSoteric said:
Notice the one in kellys rules out the possiblity of pepermint shrimps...which explains the motherload of aptasia in the tank at kellys. i cant even eat my lunch in front of it anymore. =(

But all those glass anemones are so beautiful.:rolleyes:

What they need is a couple of Raccoon Butterflies.:cool:

Back