having issues with calcium reactor setup - need some remedial advice

nickyblase

Non-member
Set up the reactor with a PH controller, and did everything according to the directions. Only thing is though, that the water all of a sudden (coming from the sump into the reactor) stopped going. I checked to see if it was clogged, and it wasn't.

It had only been online for about 45 seconds when this happened. What did I do wrong?

how are you feeding the reactor? what do you mean by water from the sump stopped flowing? are you using a pump to feed? is so, i highly recommend t'ing off of your return line to feed the reactor.

well, according to the instructions, there is a small tube that connects to a small external pump attached to the reactor itself that pumps water into the reactor, and then once calcified, it is gravity fed back into the sump. My return line is pretty fat - I'm not sure I could find a connection to tee it off effectively.

The tubing that takes water into the reactor is about the diameter of airline tubing.

what brand and model is your reactor? the water that feeds my reactor (corolynn1502) (sp) its just "gravity fed" from the tank also I think if gets some help from the circulationg pump, then out to the sump ... the pump may not have enough power to suck "up" water from your sump.

I would call the manufacture.

nickyblase said:
well, according to the instructions, there is a small tube that connects to a small external pump attached to the reactor itself that pumps water into the reactor, and then once calcified, it is gravity fed back into the sump. My return line is pretty fat - I'm not sure I could find a connection to tee it off effectively.

The tubing that takes water into the reactor is about the diameter of airline tubing.

I have mine teed off a 3/4" return. I just bought a 3/4" to 1/4" reducer(female threads at the 1/4" end). Then attach a 1/4" john guest fitting with male threads to that, and some r/o line to your feed. Don't forget a ball valve before the reactor though, and one on the return to the sump.;) This way I believe you can get the reactor pressurized a bit also. I had mine running off an aqulifter pump and it clogged often before I did it this way.

okay Don, you had me at the john guest fitting - what the heck is that??

If I can tee it off, I will def. try that. I'm SICK of dosing!!

They sell the john guest fittings at HD and lowes, they are cool, the RO tubing just slides in and seals, to remove you just push back on a little plastic ring on the fitting and the tube slides right back out.

For the T-off, I know Marine depot carries a few sizes but they are barbs so they don't directly connect to the RO tubing?

Can you describe the reactor a little more? Does it have a circ pump and a feed pump, or just a circ pump?

these are the fittings you would need. i would say at least two of them. home depot or lowes sells them in the icemaker section.

http://www.rowatersystems.com/catalog/ppsv040808w_1_4_jg_x_1_4_jg_-straight_1829888.htm

your reactor should have a feed line, and an effluent line. (unless its a korallin, then it would have two effluent lines) assuming your return pipe is 3/4", you should tee off or your return line with a tee that is 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2. you want the 1/2 side to be threaded. you can then buy a male adapter that is 1/2 by 1/4 line tubing. from there you can hook up your 1/4 line tubing to a john guest fitting to the reactor. best, and only way to feed a reactor if you ask me.

edit: i missed don's post, so yea, you if you can find a tee that is 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4 that would be pretty key also.

Last edited:
Back