Heat wave coming, will be gone this weekend...

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
I'm leaving town tomorrow morning and returning Sunday night. It's supposed to get super hot here Saturday. I was thinking about leaving the lights off all weekend. I wonder if everything will be OK? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to leave the window A/C on all weekend... With the lights off, it should stay below 84.

Steve

stevenp said:
I was thinking about leaving the lights off all weekend. I wonder if everything will be OK?
Steve

storms happen in the tropics. no lights for a coupld of days wont hurt but water temps do get hotter with 94 degree weather expected. fans are a definite. also will evaporate more than usual so better fill up the sump.

good luck.

96 is the supposed high saturday...96 and humid, I just see the electric meter spinning :(

clamm said:
96 is the supposed high saturday...96 and humid, I just see the electric meter spinning :(

CAsey I am leaving Sat afternoon for the night, I might need you to swing over in the early evening to check on things.

hey steve, good idea man!!! small price to pay to keep the tank in good condition while you're gone!!! good luck man. how's the monti cap doing? any luck getting it in a good spot?
ANDY

Ahhh... the cap is white except for the inner portion. I have it at the bottom acclimating. I hope it's just getting acclimated and not bleaching... How about yours?

Steve

nice and bright green on top....as soon as i got home i acclimated it to my temp and water conditions in my sump and then glued it to a spot i liked about halfway up on my rocks in front of my over-flow box.....looks great so far...hope it encrusts on the rock ok....you should move yours up now and see how it does.....put it atleast 1/3-1/2 way up in your tank.....
ANDY

I wont be around till late, but I will. your lights will probably be off by the time I get over there.
Kevin McG said:
CAsey I am leaving Sat afternoon for the night, I might need you to swing over in the early evening to check on things.

I use a timer on my AC. I used to only use it when we went away for the weekend, but I've forgotten to turn the AC on enough that I just use the timer everyday.

I thought about that, but I'm not sure the timer could handle the load of a 8K BTU air conditioner.

Steve

I just let my ac run all the time. once the temp in the house becomes constant the ac only has to kick on occasionally to drop the temp.

Yeah, my ACs have digital thermostats, so when I go away I close doors to minimize the area cooled, and use one AC set to 73 to keep the tank temp safe.

Steve, I think your tank would be fine without light for 2 days, but I would definitely keep an AC on regardless. Supposed to be close to 100 this weekend. Another option that I sometimes employ, is to leave one of my three lights off when I'm gone and it's very very hot. That way tank lighting is similar, but not quite as hot.

Nate

I believe Home Depot and prob. Lowes sells timers that are rated for appliances. I thought I saw them there. Just makes sure its for appliances and it can handle the load (amps) of your AC unit. They are prob. for 120V only, not 240v.

Just my 2cts

Steve,

If you want me to turn on or off your AC while you are away, I will be around this weekend.

I could turn the AC off Saturday night, then back on on Sunday morning. Just let me know, or send me a pm, I think you got my cell #.

Itzcoatl, thanks for the offer. I never even thought about how I was going deal with the heatwave until the night before I was leaving.

Anyways, I left the A/C on all weekend. I got home after midnight last night and everything looked fine. No problems!

Steve

Back