don't go on vacation during a heat wave

swampy

Non-member
Just got back from a 4 day long vacation to find my tank in bad shape. :( The water was/is cloudy, cleaner shrimp is dead, twin spot hog fish MIA, and several SPS, LPS, and Yumas dead or dying. The temp was at 92. I've done about a 50% water change over night and will do more tonight as it's still cloudy. I'm also running some carbon.

It's been such a cool summer I didn't even think to close the shades in the room the tank is in.

Lesson learned, buying an AC for the room. Keeps me and the tank cool.

ouch...tank was 84 yesterday for me and i was worried and killed the lights...never mind 92..sorry to hear it

wow 92 thats hot. Jump in a hot tub wow is anything going to make it. i hope its not a total loss.

ya i put a ac in my fish tank room so it dont get above 80 so far so good. Im right at 79 so i have a lil play in the temp.

sorry about your loss

I had a tank get over 90 during a move. The tank was left for a couple days in the old place we forgot to turn the AC on. It was a FOWLR tank though. We lost all the inverts except coral banded shrimp. The fish survived though. The tank was a mess though.

Seems like you're doing everythng right so far. Keep up with the water changes and carbon (a lot).

I've learned my lesson the hard way also. From now on, no lights, skim dry, and keep the central air/heating system on constant.

I also do a dry run before I leave just to make sure everything's going to be okay.

Sorry to hear what happened. But how are the zoas and palys doing?

The zoas and palys are actually loving it, new growth and all. I've heard they like dirtier water but 92 and high nirtrate/phos, wow. Zoas are so funny, some will melt under perfect conditions while other survive this.

Acan question: 2 of mine are now covered white/clear jelly. Should I dip them or just wait it out? Is this a defense mech. or just them dying.

Thanks for all your responses!!!

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have a 24,000 BTU whole house chiller with a thermostat set at 76°. The tankmates and me enjoy it. :)

Back