Height of ATI fixture above tank

gonorth16

Non-member
Hi all, Just started to stock my 60g cube 24x24x24 and had a lighting question. I have a ati 6x24 sunpower fixture and was wondering how high i should have it above the tank. 4 bulbs are brand new, 2 are 3 months old(all ATI). I have some sps in the high levels of tank and lps and softies towards the bottom and middle. I had a tek 5 fixture w/ legs and had it on the lowest setting on my previous tank, but I hear ATI's put out more par so I dont wont to burn anything. any input would help. thanks,Peter

about 3-5 " is normal height but you do need to acclimate your tank to the new more intense light. you can do this by slowly lowering the fixture to the height you want over the course of a month. You would also want to start with a reduced lighting schedule start with 3 hoours and then ramp up a half hour every week until you reach your desired schedule. People also have layered screen over the top of the tank and then removed them weekly inorder to help the corals adjust.

what light did you have before?

about 3-5 " is normal height but you do need to acclimate your tank to the new more intense light. you can do this by slowly lowering the fixture to the height you want over the course of a month. You would also want to start with a reduced lighting schedule start with 3 hoours and then ramp up a half hour every week until you reach your desired schedule. People also have layered screen over the top of the tank and then removed them weekly inorder to help the corals adjust.

what light did you have before?
the cube is brand-new, never had a light on it. The coals I got came out of a tank.w/ mh's.

your probably going to lose some color putting those corals in your tank but they will come back once their use to the new light.....

your probably going to lose some color putting those corals in your tank but they will come back once their use to the new light.....

Shawn, The corals I got from you are doing great w/ awesome color. Thats why i was asking cuz I dont wont to burn anything. You should see the Wall Hammer I just got from AA( Sweet)!!!!!!!!

Back