Hello - New to forum + hobby

KReardon99

Non-member
Hi Everyone,
My name is Kurt, I just got into the hobby and have a 24g JBJ Nano. Its been up and running for about 6 months now. It seems everyday I end up with a hundred new questions I have about the tank!...
Anyone with some good beginner advice for keeping a nano would be great. Or any good books to read that explain the ins and outs a little better. Thanks!.. hope to talk to you all soon.
P.S. I live in Everett MA

yes...water changes r key in a smaller tank.... making sure the saly u r using is balanced so you don't have too many swings in ca,alk/kh, & mag. The smaller the tank....the quicker the swings...temp ph etc etc.... Welcome to the forum..Kurt...

B

Welcome to the BRS! +1 to water changes and read any and all books on reefing you can never have to much knowledge. Have patience nothing in this hobby happens fast.

My favorite book is "The Nano-Reef Handbook", by Chris R. Brightwell. It was written for 15 gallons or less so the information is good for all nanos. The smaller the tank, the harder to keep it balanced. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Kurt, this is often a highly recommended book, http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1890087025/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1315138308&sr=1-14&condition=new

I forget how many fish you said you have, but be careful not to overstock a tank that size, especially if you don't have much LR. You may find yourself constantly battling Nitrates & algae problems. The general rule is 1-2 lb's LR per gallon. Since you already have LR in the tank, you could pick up some non-LR (base rock) to add to it. People are always selling rock on the forum here or you could buy from Jay's Aquatics. As everyone else suggested keeping up with water changes will keep a healthy thriving tank.

Some other tips:
-Test your param's often. Alk, Mag, and Calc are important for coral health, but you also must keep nitrates, ph, and phosphates in check.
-Have a decent cleanup crew (snails, crabs, etc)
-try not to disturb the sand bed too much.
-be sure to acclimate any new fish/corals properly.

Best of luck!

Welcome to the Boston Reefers, Kurt. Move slowly and ask questions. Read every book as Chris says and keep up with the water changes. Get some chemistry test kits and keep an eye on water chemisty. Smaller tanks are less forgiving as to water quality.
Hope to see you sometime at a meeting.
Tom
Oceanguy

Back