help choosing lights....

JhonQ

Non-member
Im currently trying to get a 125gal long tank running. Im in the process of building a internal overflow box. But I have no idea what kind of light I should get with out breaking the bank. I want to eventually get some corals... Any suggestions are appreciated...thank you

The tek lights are nice t5s too and are cheaper than the ATIs but ATI is the best IMO

If you think down the road, the LED modules would be cheaper. You also might be able to get them used considering the new Vega's are coming out. T5's on a 6 foot tank wont be that cheap - I would think you'd need at least 4 bulbs.

You building a coast to coast overflow?

Im not building a coast to coast overflow... the tank came with holes at the bottom in each corner. Im trying to build corner overflow out of glass... I initially wanted LEDs but one unit alone is over $400 I would need at least 3.... in the long run they would be cheaper but right now not so much...:)

If I had to start over and had piles of cash. I'd go all out LED with commercial unit(s). But alas, my PO's won't be signed off on by the wife LOL. Building them is an option. But I underestimated all the time and work involved with all the DIY stuff I wanted to do so far (which is why I am still not finished). I do like commercial units, but you will obviously pay more up front to get the build quality, warranty, etc. Still, I'd suggest taking a look at least and considering LED's.

Take electricity usage and HEAT generation into consideration. Heat could be a concern depending on where the tank is located on hot summer days.

For my current 125 long tank project, its a mix of retrofits:

3xLumatek switchable wattage 250hqi retrofits. Dual-ended 14k Plusrite bulbs/250hqi.
2xT5 ATI bluespecial 36" (actinic) one row. on IC660
2xT5 ATI purpleplus 36" (for color) one row. on IC660
I also have blue and white low wattage led moonlight strips (Icecap).

Lots of PAR with this setup, plus I can sort of simulate dawn/day/dusk by switching the lights in various combinations with a controller. Its sucks a good bit of electricity though. I expect it will also generate a lot of heat throughout a day. BUT. This tank is going into a basement level 'man cave'. So cooling shouldn't be as much of an issue in the summer.

My canopy and lights are built. Tank isn't ready yet. If you happen to ever be in the Gardner, MA area, you are welcome to swing by on a weekend and take a look at what I have done for possible ideas. My to-do.... which has been in a holding pattern for a while, is to finish a 'bean' style overflow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Tank-black-Blue-LED-Grow-Light-120W-/150726029374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item68c94c7950

These are AWESOME. Very cheap, Amazing color! and very bright. I have 2 over a 55 gallon. After using a T5 fixture for 2 years I got these lights and wow. I willl NEVER go back to T5's again. And you cant beat the shimmering water effect. it just makes the reef tank that much better. Three of these would be perfect for your 125. You could get 4 but I think 3 would be plenty

I like the LEDs MrCote posted above...but the price seems to good to be true...does any body else have any experience with those lights....

Frank180reef recommended them to me. I know there are a few othere reefers on here that use the same lights. I think they are definetly the best bang for your buck. My corals are happy and look great under these lights!

I am not 100% up to date with the LED's. But that price does seem a little too good to be true.

I would also be interested in hearing some first hand experience with them.

i just ordered two of these fixtures for my 72 bowfront... interested in first hand experience as well

I was between T5 and LEDS.... I end it up getting ATI fixture and dont regret nothing....
I love the colors all my orals growso fast.
I would go with T5s.

We actually just got two of these lights, and they are BRIGHT!!!! upgraded to a 90 and have a lot of corals, so very excited!!!!!Also if your handy, the drivers are easy to switch out to dimmable if you prefer :)

I'm looking into lights now myself. Just bought a 120G (48x24x24). How many of these would I need? Sounds like 3 would do it.

Are you guys hanging them from the ceiling or did you do something else to mount them?

I'd like to hear more about switching the driver as well. Any links or anything Moose?

Thanks.

We actually just got two of these lights, and they are BRIGHT!!!! upgraded to a 90 and have a lot of corals, so very excited!!!!!Also if your handy, the drivers are easy to switch out to dimmable if you prefer :)
........I would like to know more on how to change the drive and which driver to use....

I hanged mine from the wall the AI hanging kit is $90.00 but I just made my own cost my $15 bucks at homedepot

The drivers just bolt in on the inside. You just take the screws off and take the casing off the lights. Then you would just take the wire apart from the driver, unbolt it and switch it out for a dimmable one you buy, set the new dimmable one so it doesn't pull to much energy, then you splice the wire back in. Most DIY leds info will tell you how to connect the driver and set it up to pull the correct amount.
We built a canopy so the lights fit into it well, also I was getting sick of loosing fish to jumping out, so the canopy allows for the light to go straight into the tank and also no fish to jump :)

Back