help, what is wrong with my plate coral

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I have this 7 to 8 inch diameter plate coral. It has been doing great for a month since I got it. Today, there is a strip of white stuff (like decay flesh) righ in the middle of the plate arcoss the center. It looks like someone trying to cut the plate in half. The plate still inflates at the two half devided by the center white line.

What is going on with it?

here is a picture:

Last edited:
the red stuff at front is coraline alge on the glass.

I can't think if anything that eats it. There is nothing more in the tank. The line is very straight throught the center.

It all started with the middle of the plate did not inflate but only the two side.

Nothing change at all. it just happened. If anemone can split, can a plate does the same thing?

I think I am going to leave it alone to see what happen. If it dies, let it die in peace.

Heliofungia are known to be quite sensitive, particularly in the first few weeks. I'm not sure you will be able to save this coral. Looks like a bacterial infection of some kind.

Scott asked about the water parameters, what is the alkalinity and calcium of the tank? These could affect the corals ability to adjust to your tanks lighting and circulation.

There is an offhand chance you might be able to use Neomycin to save the coral, but I think the probability is low. If you do this you will need to do it in a bucket outside of the tank, with an airstone for circulation, and some way of controlling the temp of the bucket.

I recently recovered a coral using Neomycin. 2 days of treatment, 100% water change in the bucket at the 24 hour time point.

Oh, and the question about splitting, I really don't think that is what is going on here.

Back