Help with aquarium glass stains

ShelleyBoston

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Can someone advice the best way to deal with water stains on the glass? I have tried spraying straight white vinegar on it. Then I soaked paper towels and let the vinegar soak the area for 15-20 minutes and has not worked. I am trying to stay away from harsh chemicals. But open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance
20221015_003343.jpg
20221015_003408.jpg

Last edited:
ok, pop quiz time, ... glass is a solid, a liquid or a gas??.......dont cheat!!! its a liquid, and as such it has absorbed the moist minerals that were left on it at the water line. so since its absorbed into the glass there is no practical way to remove it. this happens even in freshwater tanks too when the water level is kept low for long periods. but if ur still not convinced, another proof of glass being a liquid is that on very old houses with original glass, the glass is thicker at the bottom as it has been flowing downward in an ultra slo motion. So if you cant scrape it off with a new razor, it ain't coming o
ff...

Oh wow, I did not know that glass was a liquid. I did not try the razor method yet because I did not want to scratch it. The stains disappear for a moment when a liquid is on top so I assume they may go away when I fill it with water will see.

ok, pop quiz time, ... glass is a solid, a liquid or a gas??.......dont cheat!!! its a liquid, and as such it has absorbed the moist minerals that were left on it at the water line. so since its absorbed into the glass there is no practical way to remove it. this happens even in freshwater tanks too when the water level is kept low for long periods. but if ur still not convinced, another proof of glass being a liquid is that on very old houses with original glass, the glass is thicker at the bottom as it has been flowing downward in an ultra slo motion. So if you cant scrape it off with a new razor, it ain't coming o
ff...
Completely agree here. Razors (generally) do not scratch glass. Sediment, caught in said razor can. Just take your time and be careful!

If your worried about the razor scratching. You can put a slight camber in a single edge blade by bending the back Brace just a little that’ll keep the corners from digging in.

You could also try letting the vinegar soak on the stains for 24 hours. I've found some discoloration like this needs quite a long soak.

ff...
Urban myth

interesting read, esp the part that says, "Like liquids, these disorganized solids can flow, albeit very slowly. Over long periods of time," I remember seeing pictures of ancient glassware that had melded together where they were touching and became connected. But then again I might also still being fooled into thinking that moon landing was real and wasn't staged on a movie set like so many others do. And in the for what its worth Dept, in 2000 4% of americans believed Elvis was still alive.... so like on so many things in life we are just left to use our own best judgment as our guide. and thats what I attribute to my success in aquarium keeping.

Last edited:
Wow! all She asked was if anyone had a suggestion how to clean the glass.
Not what the glass is made of or how it performs etc. etc. etc.
When u fill it up with water soon or later its going to have that line and chances are it will not bother you and life goes on.
Happy reefing.

Back