"Herbie" What the heck is it?

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
I noticed that there appears to be a new reef slang term, "Herbie".

From what I gather this is just a standpipe with no air vent or duroso/stockman. (I assume this is used in a Cindy style drain, where you have a restricted main drain, and a second back up just in case?)

Can anyone explain this to me? Am I missing something?

Thks Steve, that's what I figured it meant.

Now who made up that silly "herbie" name?

I've always thought of a straight standpipe with full siphion, but slowed with a valve and backed up with a backup drain as a "Cindy drain" since she thought of it first ;)

Ok,the link that Steve provided seems to be an earlier version of the"Herbie"method or maybe right around the same time.
I read about this a few years ago when looking into stockman overflows.
It's basically like Steve's thread but the one I read had one overflow pipe and one "emergency" pipe.The non-emergency pipe was regulated by a ball valve to slow the water down to make it silent.The emergency pipe was just that.Incase the flow overcame the restricted overflow pipe for any reason and water level rose.Emergency pipe was about an inch higher than the reg. overflow.
The reason it's called,"Herbi"method is because the guy that wrote the original thread about it had Herbie the elf,(from Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer).
You know,"I want to be a Dentist".lol

*should have read Jay's post,would have saved some typing.lol

Jimmy its been around for a while :) it works and as far as Mr. Beans goes its a fail safe design last I saw when he first posted

Yup, your right. For some reason the term/idea was coined yrs ago and I never noticed, but for some reason it seems to be being used/said a lot reccently.

I first heard Cindy describe the idea so it stuck in my head as her idea. I get the mechanics a lot better than the name part ;)

Yup, your right. For some reason the term/idea was coined yrs ago and I never noticed, but for some reason it seems to be being used/said a lot reccently.

I first heard Cindy describe the idea so it stuck in my head as her idea. I get the mechanics a lot better than the name part ;)

I wonder if he ever did pursue that,"I want to be a dentist"dream job?:rolleyes:

Back