here it goes my 2 stupid questions of the week

snick1734

Non-member
ok here are the questions :)

1 how manny people use the sponge thingys on there return pump ? they kinda trap alot of junk but I would amagine they save the pumps?

2 so my phosphates are 0 for once shhhh:cool: should I stop using phosban which i run in a reactor currently 24/7

thanks all

steve

1. i used it till i realized of the nitrates it caused.. i took my sponge off and used the plastic that's left to protect the prop.. for that "Just in case" or the woops i droped that in?

2. no idea..

the onlt thing i would be trying to avoid getting in a pump would be sand or critters.
as far as phosban i would absolutely use it all the time.We are continuallty adding PO4 to our tanks in the form of foods etc so it is good to have the phosban there to absorb it before the nuiscance algae or Zooxanthella can.

1. No sponge on my return pump, just a strainer. Sponges can choke the feed to the pump even when they're clean. Strainers choke the intake down as well, but not nearly as much as a sponge IME.

2. Leave it running, if you take it off line your phosphates will probably rise again.

Thanks guys,

I will continue with the phosphate remover. at 6 months into the 180 upgrade It all seems new to us again with the larger water volume compaired to the 58:)

no preference for # 1

as for # 2 well even the hannah meters have a accuracy discrepancy of .03 so even if you get a reading of 0 you probably have .03 depending on which way it swings....with other methods of testing 0.00 is likely ballpark at best.

Back