Here's a nice problem to solve!!

Liam

letting it grow
I have encountered a problem with my Deltec where it is blowing its top,literally :) .The skimmate being produced is very dry which is good but it is so dense it is pushing the top off the collection cup.The top just sits on the cup with no locking method,even if i did lock it somehow the skimmate would just come out of the vent holes in the lid.I am going to be drilling the bottom when i add a remote waste vessel but i don't think this will solve it.
I don't even have any bioload on the tank yet :eek:
Any ideas.

Attachments

• DSCF0647 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0647 (Small).JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 183
NateHanson said:
That kind of looks like the foam from a southdown storm. Did you recently add sand? Was it rinsed?

You are right Nate that is sand skimmate,i did'nt have a storm though,when i filled the tank i filled directly off my ro/di so there was little clouding.I did move some rock around today but it did'nt cause to much clouding.No i did not rinse though.Do you think this will not be a problem when skimming on a cycled tank?

What did that thing blow up after I left?

I don't think you'll have the issue after the tank cycles.

jango said:
What did that thing blow up after I left?

I don't think you'll have the issue after the tank cycles.

Hi PJ,yeah this was this morning.You where right about the dead stuff in the rock,i checked the ammonia this morning and measured0.5 mgl,now i'll just hope it moves down not up :)

try putting a little vaseline around the inside rim of the collection cup, I know that has helped with bubble issues with the deltecs before. This is a common thing with them from what I have read but doesnt last and the vaseline helps solve the problem

Liam, yesterday I rinsed that bag you brought me (thanks again) before putting it in a new sump I'm working on, and the first two rinses with a hose in a 5g bucket, the really fine dust in the sand makes a stiff white foam just like that. I'd suggest running a cannister filter filled with polyester floss for a bit, and maybe even very gently stir the sand to get the really really fine dust filtered out. Otherwise you might have continuing dust storms when fish burrow in the sand, or a clam smacks shut on the sandbed. Better to have the storms taken care of now while there's nothing in the tank.

Back