Hey Doug!! Cardinal Update - Fish..not baseball!

JustDavidP

Non-member
I think I got a male and female!!

The male stopped eating the other day. I then noticed that he seems heavy in the mouth. Check out these pics... do you think he's carrying?

47b4ce07b3127ccea922c8fc62c60000001610

47b4ce07b3127ccea922c8e262d80000001610

Again, he stopped eating. Also, his mouth is more rounded than before. Finally, his gills and gill plates seem displaced?

I may be expecting huh?

David

Yes... he has that 'so full I could barf' look... which is great news for you.
Is the pair in a tank by itself... or will you try to scoop the babies later?

I moved my male into the refugium a few days before he spit the kids. Worked well... FYI.

b

I'd love to know when he's gonna have em!! I JUST cut in a new sump with fuge. He could go there. I just don't know when to do it, if at all. The babies may probably end up there on their own :)

ANY info you or anyone has on this would be appreciated.

Dave..

PS.. this would be their new home..

47b4ce07b3127ccea922c81e62240000001610

When did you notice him not eating? I can't rememebr exactly, but a quick search on RC will tell you the incubation period. I want to say something like 3 weeks. That's a long time with no food (for papa)... but it really does happen! Depending on how tough it is to catch him (you don't want to stress him out)... it would be great to do the transfer a few days before the release. I captured my male in a plastic cup, not a net, then gently placed him into the fuge. He spit 24 babies the next day.

Again... a serhc on RC will get you all the details on what to do and how to do it, from folks who really know the ropes.

bec

Get the brine shrimp ready! Let us know if you need some eggs, we had a hard time finding it last year when the first batch hatched. If you can catch him, I would move him to the fuge. He might spit out the fry if stressed.

Our last batch moved into the rose BTA. Doug has been scooping them out after the RBTA is "goosed".

Dave, congratulations.
I am tagging along this thread. My banggaii has spawned three times in the tank and so far I did not try to move the male since it would be difficult to remove him from my tank. I read about the light trick and I might try to do that next time he carries eggs again. The last time, I had 1 baby survived (about 1/8" long when I found it in the tank), then I removed it to a separate tank, fed it cyclopeeze about 3 times/day, but after about 1 week it died :(
I wonder if I should feed it rotifers instead.

About 3 weeks is right, you will have about a week notice because he will swim around with mouth gaping and babies visable inside.

You guys rock! This is the BRS that a salty dude like me dreams about.

It's only been about a week since I noticed him stop eating. His mouth definitely looks full, but is almost completely closed. There is just the slightest opening. At night, when I flash an LED into the tank, you can see red inside his mouth. I'm guessing he is more than a week away. We shall see.

I have a foolish brine shrimp hatchery that sits in my sump and provides BBS continuously if needed. In this case, I will set up my 5 gallon tank and get the BBS ready (enriched) this week.

We shall see...

Thanks for all the tips and pointers!

Dave

*sigh* When is this dude gonna spit? It's been more than 3 weeks since *I've* noticed his carrying. He's not psyched to be in the fuge. I've already fed the first batch of brine to the reef cause they got too big to feed the fry. The second batch is still going strong.

David

Attachments

• Fuged.jpg
    Fuged.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 190
Back