Hitchhiker ID

Spudsly

BRS Member
Hi, I just noticed two hitchhikers that I'm unsure of. They look pretty similar but one is greyish and one is fluorescent green. They both seem to be mobile on the timescale of hours. It makes me think they are anenomes. Are they pests?

green.jpggrey.jpg

I'd be sad to lose the beneficial stuff. I only purchased two pieces of live rock the rest was more or less dead. How long would it even take to wait for them to die in air? I feel like I've heard stories of them living a long time.

Can coat them in kalkwasser paste or use aptasia x and cover them with it

Can coat them in kalkwasser paste or use aptasia x and cover them with it

+1 to kalk. If you don't have any fish or coral and cycling, a baking soda paste would work well also. Make your paste thick as toothpaste and apply with a syringe.

if it just those couple...pull rock out...blast them with a creme brulee torch for a few seconds, if happen to have one handy. Wipe off the leftover goop. Put rock back in tank.

I started with a lighter but then I saw a brittle star I was nailing as well squirming around and felt too bad to continue.

well, you could also take the rock out, coat in kalk, and let sit for 30 minutes too. That may work. You could also blast them with very hot water. While they look kindof cool, they can be a pest and multiple rapidly.

I've been blasting with kalk point blank for the time being. Trying to be very vigilant.

Back