hoping to avoid a flood.....

Vinman75

Non-member
thank you everyone for your help today with the advice. One last question.
As I had said I have an Eheim 1060 pump in my sump as the return pump. One issue/concern that I have is that when I have unplugged or the power cut out, the pump stops sending the water up to the display tank. A big concern is that after about 15 seconds or so the pump almost begins sucking water out of the display tank and into the sump. Almost like a backdraft or something. I am concerned that the display tank water will overfill the sump creating a very large spill. Any thoughts on how I can avoid this or is this an issue withh all pumps? Please advise as I am kind of nervous about it as we lose power somewhat often, not for long but it cuts out and trips the GFCI thing.

Just raise your return outlets high enough that the siphon breaks naturally when the power goes out.

You can drill a small hole in the return. This will break the siphon.
You can drill it so the hole will be under water while it is working, but outside of the water when you lose power.

You can drill a small hole in the return. This will break the siphon.
You can drill it so the hole will be under water while it is working, but outside of the water when you lose power.

Eh, I wouldn't rely on a siphon break just like I wouldn't rely on a return valve not being plugged by a snail. Raise the returns outlets as John mentioned and be done with it. This also provides good surface agitation anyways, so its a win-win.

I have done it with the siphon break hole and also by running my return outlet high so it doesn't siphon back much water. I feel much better running the returns high over the siphon break. It's more a matter of preference though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

if you really want to get fancy add a Ball check in the line , pick one up at a plumbing supply like webb . its all preference . once you get in to it some more you'll see that . a hundred ways to get to Boston , pick one .

Careful though, check valves are almost sure to fail sooner or later in saltwater applications.

Yup, don't rely on anything that can fail. This includes check valves, siphon breaks, any kind of an overflow that requires suction primer, etc. Keep your returns high to limit the amount of water that can siphon and be done with it. Never have to worry.

I have my return about 1/4" below the surface so only a little water drains back into the sump when power's cut. My sump is 12" tall with a 8" deep area for the filter sock and skimmer before the return section. The water only raises about 1" with 3" to spare before overflowing. It's something I check by cutting the power when doing the build.

I have my return about 1/4" below the surface so only a little water drains back into the sump when power's cut. My sump is 12" tall with a 8" deep area for the filter sock and skimmer before the return section. The water only raises about 1" with 3" to spare before overflowing. It's something I check by cutting the power when doing the build.

This ^ is the best approach IMO and IME.

It can take some tinkering to get the return just right so that it doesn't create a vortex at the surface, but isn't excessively deep either. Use real time testing to get it right and you're good to go. (loc line is priceless for this).

Check valves DO fail or at least get dirty and leak, siphon break holes work but can get clogged up and usually only do so when you need them most.

Back