How do you tell the difference between Cyno and Dinos?

twiddledog

Non-member
I have been reading a lot of threads about dinoflagelette (Dinos) and I am confused. Some say that a coating on your sand and rocks with bubbles is Cyno and others say it is Dinos. I am guesing both need a different course of action to eradicate.
I have read that Dinos live on Silicates. I have been using a Silicate removing DI along with regular DI with my RODI, running GFO and Carbon as well. My prameters are all decent and also dosed with Hydrogen peroxide.
But whatever it is..cyno or dino keeps coming back after a week or so although not bad that it is causing a problem, I just can't stand dirty looking sand!
Maybe I am trying to fight dinos when its not the problem?
I'd post a pic but currently in Lights out mode for a few days.

From what I understand.Dinos have very long whips.
FWIW I'm having some cyano issues now.
Seems to happen during this time of year when the house is closed up and CO2 level rise.
This seems to drive down PH and causes these issues.

Honestly, it's very difficult even with those who say they can tell. Often, there is a mix of both--with some diatoms mixed in as well. Dinos are usually brown with trapped air bubbles and are snotty. Dinos really stink too--very nasty rotten smell. When they worsen, they form lines up from the sand. I think that cyano--while it can form in different colors--often has a purple tinge to it that makes it distinct from dinos-- and has a silkier look when fully formed (and no longer just a coating on the sand).

Mine has the bubbles so I am guessing dinos. RODi filters should be good..purchsed new in May and have replaced once already.
Tank was also started in May with rock from my existing tank so I am hoping this is just a new tank syndrome.

You will see bubbles in both cyano and dinos.

Typically cyano will have bubbles sort of stuck in a velvety mat and it looks like the bubbles are trying to rise up and escape but they are stuck.

With dinos you will see similar bubbles, but insted of being stuck in a velvety mat the bubbles will be caught up in stringy, slimy filiment looking growth that will rise up more from the substrate.

As newenglandreef said, it can be hard to tell one from the other, and often it's both (actually all three since diatoms are often in the mix as well). The only real accurate way to ID dinos is looking under a micrscope, but sometimes it's pretty obvious at a glance (there are a lot of forms of dinos, some more common and easily recognized than others).

All that said, casually speaking;
Cyano = velvety/silky appearance, mat like growth, green, purple, or red in color, seem like nothing to the touch. When siphoned out will be back in hours to a day or so.

Common dinos = slimy snot like appearance, slime like but not mat like growth, usually brown, and they feel like snot to the touch. When siphoned out will seem to be back shockingly fast.

Diatoms = brown, dust like appearance, when touched or disturbed they feel like nothing but will blow away in the current like powdery dust.

It does not feel like snot at all..not sticky...but has a lot of bubbles some trying to reach surface in bad spots. I have been removing by scraping off top layer of sand where they are bad...not sure if this is a good idea but kind of the same as siphoning I would imagine.
They are mostly gone in the morning when lights come on and then get as the day progresses..

This was posted on Reef2Reef...
Dynoflaggalets die each night, removing oxygen from the water, as they die. Cyanobacteria doesn't die each night.

So, the best way to tell the difference is to observe your tank, first thing in the morning, and then throughout the day.

If, first thing in the morning, the problem seems to be gone and the tank looks great...then the problem algae quickly grows throughout the day, having snotty strings all over, by mid afternoon...it's Dynos.

If the tank appears the same in the morning, as it does mid afternoon, it's Cyano.

That description is mostly correct except that cyano does recced some overnight, just not as much as dinos. Cyano does not look the same in the AM and mid day, IME cyano usually recceds at least %50 overnight.

At this point, if you're still trying to figure it out it's probably cyano. In text they sound pretty similar, but in reality they are quite distinct. A good dino bloom leaves your tank looking and feeling like a T-rex blew it's nose all over your tank.

Dinos do not die at night, they release into the water column. When you have a serious growth (like I had), you can actually see them floating in the water at night. That's why most people dose Hydro Peroxide after lights out. Post a photo if you can.

That description is mostly correct except that cyano does recced some overnight, just not as much as dinos. Cyano does not look the same in the AM and mid day, IME cyano usually recceds at least %50 overnight.

At this point, if you're still trying to figure it out it's probably cyano. In text they sound pretty similar, but in reality they are quite distinct. A good dino bloom leaves your tank looking and feeling like a T-rex blew it's nose all over your tank.
I will now know the difference between Cyano and Dino forever thanks to johns pun (I am not sire if intentional or not ) Dino's equal t rex snot

Back