how many drops of iodine to acclimate new SPS?

steevareno

BRS Member
Just got in a good sized order. I have them in a 5 gallon bucket with some low flow. I am about to add kent Lugol's iodine and the directions say 40 drop to 1 gallon! Pretty sure i've read 5-10 drops Lugol's per liter water. How many liter's in a gallon? Thanks in advace!!!!!!!!

(3.7854118 liters) Usually rounded off to 4 liters to a gallon... So if its 5-10 drops per liter, that makes 20-40drops per gallon.

Last edited:
Just dump out as much water as you can (just enough to cover the corals) so you wont need so much.

I poured out as much water as i could and did the dip for 15 minutes. Thanks for the help!

>It also helps to kill the red acro bugs, I use 10 drops per liter and dip the acros for about 10 minutes<

Helps kill perhaps, but it is not a certain kill. A few red bugs may survive. Best to use the Interceptor, or perhaps the Levamisole if you are trying to kill everything (but the coral of course). The Lugol's dip helps to prevent RTN from occuring on newly acquired frags, and also therefore helps prevent it from starting a melt down in your tank.

I thought long and hard about this post but I feel it should be said.

You just had major losses then extremely high nitrates just 4-5 days ago how could your tank be ready for new additions of coral?
http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?t=18975

I really don't want to see your post in a few days that you just lost the big shipment of corals you just got. It is patience that makes for successful reef keeping.

I think if you continue this way you will needlessly kill more livestock and probably kill your love of reef keeping.

Once again please do not take this post the wrong way I did agonize over making this post. I am really just trying to be helpful

Greg

The reason is because all my corals that were either half dead or bleached are all looking good. Coloring up with polyps out. I've been doing water changes like crazy as well as reducing bioload, siphoning out all detritus and i ordered a oceanrunner pump which puts out twice as much as the sedra i have on there now so more effecient skimming. My levels of calcium/alk/magnesium have all stabalized. The reason the corals RTN'd in the first place is because the new reactor made the levels go from below average to above average almost overnight. Believe ma, the last thing i want to do is have another mishap but i appreciate yor concern. This is why i like this website. I get so much help here! It's great. FWIW, i performed a 30% water change yesterday and my nitrate levels are much lower. So, lower nitrates, stable parameters and everthing looking better than ever, i decided to add some corals. HTH

greg, I appreciate your concern! My coral are all doing well and maintaining their color!!!!:D

Back