How many people use tap water to start off a reef tank?

dz6t said:
with that kind of parameter in your tap water, I won't use it either let alone drinking. 270ppm of TDS? Your tap water is evil.

In my tap water, NH3, nitrite and nitrate are below detection limit, phosphate is less than 1ppm. Our tap water is drinkable.

Dong, don't be so sure about that... out of curiosity, I searched for the Concord water quality report for last year (can be found here: http://www.concordnet.org/dpw/w&s/html/CWD-CCR-04-v3.pdf ), here are the maximum values found for some parameters:

TDS: 243 ppm
Nitrate: 1.4 ppm
Copper: 0.48 ppm
Lead: 25 ppb

It's true that they haven't triggered the FDA action levels, but that doesn't mean the water is as "pure"/clean as you're thinking.

Nuno

Thanks for the link to the report. The Copper is 0.33ppm and the lead is 8ppb max. The Concord water is quite good after all.

dz6t said:
The Copper is 0.33ppm and the lead is 8ppb max.

Not that it matters much, you've already reached your own conclusion, but for the sake of clarification those are 90-percentile values (used to eliminate the occasional "peak" readings), not the maximums... the maximums are the values I posted above.

Nuno

nunofs said:
Not that it matters much, you've already reached your own conclusion, Nuno

Well, thanks to you and I did a quick research on why my reef tanks are still alive because the 0.33ppm copper should be too high for marine fish and invertibrate. The toxic level is 0.25 ppm of copper generally speaking. I found that there may be two key elements in my reef tank setup: large amount of premium activated carbon and guess what, Chemi-pure. By circulating tank water through activated carbon and Chemi-pure (which contains DI resins) as well as keeping the high pH and Alk level, heavy metal are greatly removed or ppt out of of the water. The Chemi-pure may act like a in-tank DI unit. Any thought? How about the idea of running DI resin in reef tank? I know the RO should be the most effective way to remove copper.

I used regular tap water in my first tank (from bad advice/before RC/BRS) and regretted it big time. Although my well water is only about 50 TDS, I had problems that took FOREVER to clean up.....resist the temptation as hard as it is!:)

They flush the supply lines on the surface only to have the polluted water re-enter the ground water and start the cycle over again.

Jim

dz6t said:
Thanks for the link to the report. The Copper is 0.33ppm and the lead is 8ppb max. The Concord water is quite good after all.
Anything higher than 3-4 ppb of copper "Thats PPB" is lethal for a reef tank. Gadgets or no Gadgets!!! Concord water has copper levels in the ppm. Thats a thousand times higher than PPB. WOW!!! BAD!!!!

1. Please read the water report before you express your opinion.
2. Please read the finding from EPA stating how copper get into tap water.
3. Please read the report, again, to find out what that copper level number means and how they did the test.

After all, please do not jump to conclusion.

Aquaman_68 said:
Anything higher than 3-4 ppb of copper "Thats PPB" is lethal for a reef tank.
Reference please? I will like to know where did you get this number.

i hope someone gets this reference

One just never knows how much chlorine or chloramine is dumped into the water. How much flouride is in the water? How much nitrate or nitrite?

"Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream."

How does that coincide with your post-war commie conspiracy, huh? No, but seriously, for the most part, tap water is awful. If you have to use it for whatever reason, thats one thing, but rodi owns tap.

all those information can be found in your town's report.

Well, a point from the other side... I used tap to start my tank. I did have a huge hair algae bloom and then a red slime algae bloom after the cycle, but for the most part my cleanup crew took care of them in due time. I only started using RO/DI about 2 months ago (set up the tank in Dec). I only used it for normal water changes and top off, so there is a great deal of tap still in the system.

I have definately noticed a change for the better in coral colors coming out, and less small algae blooms, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. I am not ever going back to tap water, but I don't think it was so bad in the beginning IMO. Also, If i had an RO/DI unit, I would have used it from the beginning. Lugging gas cans full of water in my house from the LFS is not only heavy, but it gets me some nice looks from my neighbors ;)

For what it is worth, I live in Woonsocket RI, and have been told by a fellow Woonsocket reefer that the water here is real crap based on TDS and additives.

-Brian

iuse tap water for top off i just got rodi yesterday at the meeting (thanks one eye) now its nothing but rodi water for me but i never had a problem with tap water the water in lynn is one of the best water quality around or you could buy water from reefdom i think they deliver to

of all the horrible things, i did use tap water in my small 20 for over a year...that was before i had my ro....wasn't really that bad, i don't know what to tell you other than that was just my experience. I don't recommend starting with it but hey, i didn't have a problem.
If your really impatient, why dont you buy some natural seawater from someone?
Just an idea...
:)

;) The final test results "in your tank" will determine the water quality.

I think it is like safe sex, wearing your seat belt, riding with a helmet...you can practice the alternative to the safe route and never have a problem, but you are exposing yourself to an unnecessary risk. For the amount of money we spend on live stock, an RO is a cheap precaution. Not free of error, and I would recommend anyone using RO -=also=- use a TDS to monitor their water quality, but with those checks in place, you should have much better sucess levels.

dz6t said:
Reference please? I will like to know where did you get this number.

I use TM salt for that reason & have been using it for over 4 years.

I acquired these values from a Lab that specializes in salt water for reefs. I had my water tested for trace metals, elements organics, etc, etc etc. It cost me over 500.00. I thought I had traces of copper in my tank & I was informed that copper levels should not exceed 3 ppb. I'm aware that copper comes from piping in the house & that is all the more reason why one should use an RO unit. That is if you want to suceed & have a flourishing sps dominated tank or any type of reef no matter what the species you keep. From what I gather in this thread & others you have posted in.....You are not too concerned with that!!
My only reason for posting in this thread was as I stated before.
Please.....If you have a practice that is out in left field in regards to this reef hobby. Don't encourage people to be foolish. There are alot of newbies that scroll these boards & look for good advice. I just hate to see even one of them be encouraged by your claims to use tap water in a reef. It really doesn't matter how good your water supply is & what type of reef you have.
It is not recommended & highly frowned upon in the hobby!!!

I do want to make a point in closing as I will not have further responses to this thread. Any questions can be directed to my pm box please.

I did not make a submission in this thread to start a bash fest. If I've offended anyone that was not my intent.
Happy, Safe, Reefing

Last edited:
Back