How many times have your BTA's/RBTA's split?

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
Just curious about peoples experiences.

I had one RBTA, it hung out for about a year then spawned (female, released eggs). About a year later it split after a temp spike. A few months later it split again (one of two split again so I had 3 total). I reccently moved all 3 to a different tank and now I have 6. This anemone never showed bubble tips in the 2.5 yrs it was in the old tank, and the person I got it from said it never showed bubble tips in his tank either (pinkskunk). When I moved them a few weeks ago they all began to show bubble tips at times, mostly when contracted at night.

I also have one green one that only split once and never spawned over the same 3 years. It also got moved to the new system at the same time. It hasn't split but it also shows bubble tips now after never showing bubbles since I got it at skiptons in 02.

Anybody else got a story to share?

JK

I purchased an RBTA off this board about a year ago, large size almost dinner plate when expanded, it split then both split for a total of four. I am setting up a new 110 in place of my 75 and not sure if I want to keep the RBTAs, I have a green carpet that stays put and well behaved that I will definitely put in the new tank.

Jim

I have a std grn/brn that I've had about 5 years, it has split many times as have it's clones. I give them away, bring them to the store etc.... I'm down to 8 in the tank right now but there have been as many as 14. (no direct feeding anymore!)
Hardy suckas too....Recovery time from a full syringe of Joes-Juice is ~1 month :eek: (sometimes they piss me off ;) )

Roses in a 54 corner, started with 2, gave away 4 so far and we have 3. (no direct feeding.
BTW & FWIW This tank has 2 watts / gallon PC over it.

My BTA's first split was into 3. Then the largest of the 3 split a few months later. for a total of 4. My RTBA has'nt split yet.

This is one of my splits its now about 8-9 inches across.

Jim

Last edited:
1-->2-->4-->5 Bought it with bubbles just under two years ago. It lost the bubbles immediately, and they have never returned. I have four in a 20L (from 3-8" in dia) under 96W PC, and recently put one in my 58 under 175W MH (MUCH happier in there, and the color has lightened slightly). Curiously, I've had several tear itself apart at much as 50%, then decide not to split. Very odd. One that did this maybe 3 months ago has never moved its mouth back.
Chris

frank180reef said:
Do they split because of induceds stress or natures progression?

There is a debate about that. Some believe its splitting due to stress and its cause the bta thinks it needs to reproduce quickly cause it feels it will die. And the offspring might have a chance to continue. Others feel it happens when they are happy and think this is a perfect spot to create more btas. I think its a mix of the two. Or quick stress that happen in the tank. I dont think my BTAs are about to die at all. I know my BTAs are happy looking but still split randomly, and most def during heat spikes which i tend to have a few of over the summer.

My BTA I got from the very first BRS auction (I think Marc donated it but not sure) has split so many times. Esp since the move to the 135 a few years ago. I have so many. Atleast 10 in the tank now and i've given a few away as well. They def. split more with temp spikes. I dont directly feed anymore. In the 72 I did, but now there is no need in this tank.

Had one for 1 year and a half, never moved never split. It moved one day and ended up directly in the stream of a powerhead. started splitting almost immediatly , both then moved back to almost their original location and stayed there for 6 mo. One just decided to up and move about three weeks ago, ended up in the stream of a powerhead, just split two days ago. If they move to someplace accesable I will try to remove one and trade it .

Back